* emacs and Lisp (was: Re: Open Systems closed to Ada?)
@ 1992-12-08 17:01 Greg Titus
From: Greg Titus @ 1992-12-08 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1992Dec8.093525@eklektix.com> rcd@raven.eklektix.com (Dick Dunn) wr
ites:
>...  Interesting
>that so many C programmers use emacs, an editor whose extensibility is
>based on a Lisp programming model.

Neither correction nor refutation, but an off-the-subject
extension of Dick's fine posting on unnecessary linguistic
warring ...

GNU Emacs is Lisp-based, and there may be others as well, but Old
Emacs (analogous to Old English) was TECO-based, whence the emacs
name: Editing MACroS.  You executed TECO code in minibuffers,
instead of Lisp code.  TECO is definitely a different programming
model!  Epsilon Emacs, which I use on my PC at home, is written in
Eel, an extended C.  No minibuffers, but it's easy to create new
variables/functions by writing Eel code.  There are probably other
languages serving as bases for Emacs as well.

greg
Greg Titus (gbt@zia.cray.com)             Compiler Group (Ada)
Cray Research, Inc.                               Santa Fe, NM
Opinions expressed herein (such as they are) are purely my own.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1992-12-08 17:01 UTC | newest]