* Re: It's Ada not ADA.
@ 1992-12-04  4:08 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1992-12-04  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9212031322.aa23965@Paris.ics.uci.edu> kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU (K
enneth Anderson) writes:
>Call me a geek if you will, but I really hate it when someone consistently
>capitalizes the letters of Ada. I.E. ADA.  Ada is not an acronym, it is a name
.
>Thus you capitalize the first letter and leave the other two in lowercase.
>Ada is a programming language, ADA stands for the American Dental Association
>(among others).

like the Americans with Disabilities Act.

>Sorry for the wasted bandwidth, but this really annoys me!

This geek agrees with you. Let's not be too harsh on real Ada novices,
but the guy who spelled it ADA in a recent post should have known better.

Mike Feldman

* Re: It's Ada not ADA.
@ 1992-12-04 15:48 Kurt Olender
From: Kurt Olender @ 1992-12-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Anderson writes:
> Call me a geek if you will, but I really hate it when someone consistently
> capitalizes the letters of Ada. I.E. ADA.  Ada is not an acronym, it is a
> name.  Thus you capitalize the first letter and leave the other two in
> lowercase.  Ada is a programming language, ADA stands for the American Dental
> Association (among others).

Well, on the other hand, Ada is case-insensitive!
Perhaps, he's just been reading the LRM too much recently. :-)

* Re: It's Ada not ADA.
@ 1992-12-06  5:03 tulane!darwin.sura.net!wvnvms.wvnet.edu!un031103
From: tulane!darwin.sura.net!wvnvms.wvnet.edu!un031103 @ 1992-12-06  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <OLENDER.92Dec4084816@vivaldi.cs.colostate.edu>, olender@vivaldi.cs.
colostate.edu (Kurt Olender) writes:

> Kenneth Anderson writes:
>> Call me a geek if you will, but I really hate it when someone consistently
>> capitalizes the letters of Ada. I.E. ADA.  Ada is not an acronym, it is a
>> name.  Thus you capitalize the first letter and leave the other two in
>> lowercase.  Ada is a programming language, ADA stands for the American Denta
>> Association (among others).
>
> Well, on the other hand, Ada is case-insensitive!
> Perhaps, he's just been reading the LRM too much recently. :-)

  Very good point.  The above comment makes the subject moot.

* Re: It's Ada not ADA.
@ 1992-12-07 15:49 Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 1992-12-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

     As shibboleths go, "It's Ada, not ADA" is a nice one to have around,
clearly demonstrating which of us are the truly knowledgeable.  On the
other hand, I have often seen printed titles (on viewgraphs, in technical
journals, etc.) in which every letter is upper case except for the "da"
that ends the name of our favorite language.  Come on!  It's not a holy
word.  It should obey the same rules as any other word.

				Charliee