From: agate!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state
Subject: Re: VALUE and IMAGE operations for FLOAT
Date: 28 Dec 92 14:45:55 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1h9j75INNs2i@rave.larc.nasa.gov>, matthias@nimbus.larc.nasa.gov
(Larry Matthias) writes:

|>      I am interested in finding a software reuseable package that
|> performs the equivalent VALUE and IMAGE operations but for the FLOAT
|> type. I saw that Grady Booch has a package in his "Software Components
|> with Ada" that supports this in the package Floating_Point_Utilities.
|> However, only the package specification is included in the book. You
|> must send away for the implementation.
|>
|>      Where can you get these package? How much are they (remember
|> the deficit)?

Here's a solution that even those on a government budget can afford:

Instantiate Text_IO.Float_IO.  Use the string-to-float version of Get to
write your own Value function (or use Get directly if that solves your
problem).  Use the float-to-string version of Put write your own Image
function (or use Put directly).

Your compiler maker has already done the hard work by providing these
procedures.

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com