From: agate!dog.ee.lbl.gov!hellgate.utah.edu!fcom.cc.utah.edu!val@ucbvax.Berkel ey.EDU  (Val Kartchner)
Subject: Re: Lets split comp.lang.ada into multiple groups to confine flames
Date: 23 Dec 92 18:03:19 GMT	[thread overview]

In article 62879@mimsy.umd.edu, alex@cs.umd.edu (Alex Blakemore) writes:
>make comp.lang.ada obsolete and create a small set of groups instead.

.. comp.lang.advocacy, comp.lang.programmer, comp.lang.announce,
.. comp.lang.misc (all for Ada discussions)

This is definitely an ethnocentric view of programming languages, isn't it?
Or, did you forget the ":-)"?

In <EACHUS.92Dec18133934@oddjob.mitre.org> eachus@oddjob.mitre.org (Robert I. E
achus) writes:
:    If this is becomming a serious proposal, the names should be
: comp.lang.ada.programmer, etc.  However comp.lang.advocacy might be
: more appropriate than having a separate group for each language.  (Of
: course, as soon as this is mentioned in news.groups, the C and C++
: groups will play keep up with the Jones.)

There simply isn't enough volume in the comp.lang.ada group to really
consider this.  Since there is at least twice the volume in each of the
comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++ groups, it will be sooner justified there
than here.

Nevertheless, the comp.lang.advocacy group does have some merit.  It should
be used when discussions degenerate from simply correction of facts.

mccall@mksol.dseg.ti.com (fred j mccall 575-3539) writes:
> Sounds good to me.  It would let me read the stuff I want to read
> without having people in each group trying to tell me how "language X
> is better than language Y", and people who WANT to do that could go to
> comp.lang.advocacy.  ...
> [There seem to be fewer of these 'my language is better/your language
> is crap' wars in the C/C++ groups than I've seen in the Ada group.
> Not sure why that is, precisely.]

I could speculate.  Could it be "Napoleon Syndrome"?

Or could it be...

--
|============ with disclaimer; use disclaimer; =============///=============|
| If programmers designed languages like Congress passes   /// Weber State  |