* JANUS compiler
@ 1992-12-21  5:31 enterpoop.mit.edu!hri.com!spool.mu.edu!sgiblab!munnari.oz.au!metro!ipso!r
From: enterpoop.mit.edu!hri.com!spool.mu.edu!sgiblab!munnari.oz.au!metro!ipso!r @ 1992-12-21  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a number of Windows 3.X display primitives written in C++
and wish to access them from an Ada application. My thoughts are
to package the primitives as a DLL and use an Ada compiler which
has good bindings to the Windows APIs. A colleague has recommended
the JANUS Ada compiler - if anyone has used this compiler and can
report on the general quality of the product and specifically the
Windows API integration I would be very grateful to hear from them.

Thanks, John Jameson.

--
JOHN JAMESON                           Computer Sciences of Australia
Internet:   johnj@runx.oz.au           Systems Engineering Division

* Re: JANUS compiler
@ 1992-12-21 23:40 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1992-12-21 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1992Dec21.053113.6598@runx.oz.au> johnj@runx.oz.au (John Jameson) w
rites:

>I have a number of Windows 3.X display primitives written in C++
>and wish to access them from an Ada application. My thoughts are
>to package the primitives as a DLL and use an Ada compiler which
>has good bindings to the Windows APIs. A colleague has recommended
>the JANUS Ada compiler - if anyone has used this compiler and can
>report on the general quality of the product and specifically the
>Windows API integration I would be very grateful to hear from them.

I haven't seen the Janus Windows version, but the Meridian one is a
pretty decent piece of work. I presume that you can use a "thin" binding
to the Windows API, that is, a direct Ada equivalent to each Windows
call.

Good luck.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman
co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

School of Engineering and Applied Science
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 USA
(202) 994-5253 (voice)
(202) 994-5296 (fax)
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)

"Americans want the fruits of patience -- and they want them now."