From: zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!csc.ti.com!tilde.csc.ti.com!mksol !mccall@uunet.uu.net  (fred j mccall 575-3539)
Subject: Re: Lets split comp.lang.ada into multiple groups to confine flames
Date: 18 Dec 92 23:31:44 GMT	[thread overview]

In <EACHUS.92Dec18133934@oddjob.mitre.org> eachus@oddjob.mitre.org (Robert I. E
achus) writes:

>   In article 62879@mimsy.umd.edu, alex@cs.umd.edu (Alex Blakemore) writes:
>   >make comp.lang.ada obsolete and create a small set of groups instead.
>   >
>   >  some suggestions
>   >
>   >    comp.lang.advocacy   - for the flame wars
>   >    comp.lang.programmer - for discussions of design/development Ada langu
age issues
>   >                           (or comp.lang.technical or better name?)
>   >    comp.lang.announce   - moderated, low volume important announcements
>   >                           of meetings, products, standards, new mandates
:) etc
>   >    comp.lang.misc       - catch all

>   If this is becomming a serious proposal, the names should be
>comp.lang.ada.programmer, etc.  However comp.lang.advocacy might be
>more appropriate than having a separate group for each language.  (Of
>course, as soon as this is mentioned in news.groups, the C and C++
>groups will play keep up with the Jones.)

Sounds good to me.  It would let me read the stuff I want to read
without having people in each group trying to tell me how "language X
is better than language Y", and people who WANT to do that could go to
comp.lang.advocacy.  Of course, that wouldn't stop it from happening
in the other groups, but it would at least give me someplace to tell
people who want to promote their language or back some other one to go
-- other than the obvious one, I mean.

[There seem to be fewer of these 'my language is better/your language
is crap' wars in the C/C++ groups than I've seen in the Ada group.
Not sure why that is, precisely.]

--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live
 in the real world."   -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden