* looking for ada under Windows (3.1 / NT)
@ 1992-12-02  8:43 news.univie.ac.at!chx400!univ-lyon1.fr!fifi.univ-lyon1.fr!Florian.Deckert
From: news.univie.ac.at!chx400!univ-lyon1.fr!fifi.univ-lyon1.fr!Florian.Deckert @ 1992-12-02  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm looking to an ada compiler on Windows. Does anyone know one ?

fdeckert@aedi.insa-lyon.fr

* Re: looking for ada under Windows (3.1 / NT)
@ 1992-12-03  3:32 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1992-12-03  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1992Dec02.084322.11288@fifi.univ-lyon1.fr> Florian.Deckert@fifi.uni
v-lyon1.fr writes:
>Hello,
>
>I'm looking to an ada compiler on Windows. Does anyone know one ?
>
>fdeckert@aedi.insa-lyon.fr

Meridian now sells one. It is, in my opinion, a decent piece of work.
It implements a "thin" binding to Windows, which is to say that the
Windows API is translated rather directly to Ada calls. The advantage
of this is, I suppose, that we can use all those "How to Write
Windows Apps" texts that express everything in C.

Send e-mail if you need more info.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman
co-chair, SIGAda Education Committee

School of Engineering and Applied Science
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 USA
(202) 994-5253 (voice)
(202) 994-5296 (fax)
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)

"Americans want the fruits of patience -- and they want them now."

* looking for ada under Windows (3.1 / NT)
@ 1992-12-05 20:02 Michael Hagerty
From: Michael Hagerty @ 1992-12-05 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-05-92, FLORIAN.DECKERT@FIFI.UNIV wrote to ALL:

FD> I'm looking to an ada compiler on Windows. Does anyone know one ?

Yeah, Meridian makes one which they are actively promoting.  It does
suffer rather severe performance problems directly attributable to the
sloth of Windows.  Unfortunate, this.  To have tools run fast, there
has to be some reasonable operating system underneath.

Regards, Mikey (michael.hagerty@nitelog.com)

 * JABBER v1.3B1 #B042 * Ada: Pascal on steroids...