* Compiler in its own language (Was: Re: Play 20K expressions again, Sam
@ 1992-09-10  6:37 CNAM.CNAM.FR!bortz
From: CNAM.CNAM.FR!bortz @ 1992-09-10  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9194@verdix.verdix.com>, brucej@verdix.com (Bruce Jones) writes:
> Well, our new optimizer is written in Ada.  It turns out that Ada is a
> great language for writing large programs, the new code is very readable
> and maintainable.

I take this opportunity to discuss about the best language to write a
compiler (a private discussion already occured, thanks for those who participat
ed).
IMHO, it is better to write the compiler in the language it compiles,
whatever is this language.
It has several technical benefits:
- any improvment in the optimizer will optimize the compiler as well,
- this is the greatest test suite you can dream of: if it can compile
an Ada compiler, it will compile everything :-)
and a commercial one:
- it states clearly that you trust the language you try to sell.

I tried to list the languages used by some compilers. (If someone wants
to complete/correct this list?)

Compiler                 Language

Verdix                   C + now partly in Ada
Telesoft                 Ada
Alsys                    Ada
DEC                      Bliss + Ada (unknown proportions)
Meridian                 ?
Ada-Ed, first version    SETL
Ada-Ed, second version   C
Systeam                  ?
GNU Ada                  C, but may be an Ada version (?)

Stephane Bortzmeyer           Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers

bortzmeyer@cnam.cnam.fr       Laboratoire d'Informatique
                              292, rue Saint-Martin
tel: +33 (1) 40 27 27 31      75141 Paris Cedex 03
fax: +33 (1) 40 27 27 72      France

"C'est la nuit qu'il est beau de croire a la lumiere." E. Rostand

only message in thread, other threads:[~1992-09-10  6:37 UTC | newest]