From: agate!linus!linus!kjm%grotto.mitre.org@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Kevin Miller
Subject: Re: LOC estimates for Ada Command and Control projects
Date: 6 Sep 91 12:49:52 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1234@tfsg.UUCP>, dennis@tfsg.UUCP (Dennis Gibbs) writes:

> <>
>
> We are trying to produce coding estimates for our project and we would
> like to solicit input to get an  estimate for the number  of lines  of
> code (LOC) per day per developer.
>
> Our definition  of LOC per day  is code  that is  developed, debugged,
> tested, and documented.
>
> The project in question is a small Command and Control project with an
> estimated total code size of 50,000 lines.  Our system is event driven
> with heavy Man-Machine Interfaces (MMI).  We are using OpenWindows for
> the MMI, on Sun Sparcstation 2's.  For the  purposes of  this estimate
> we would like to assume our programmers have  average proficiency with
> Ada (not Ada wizards, but not novices either).
>
> Can anyone out  there involved in  an Ada Command and  Control project
> tell us what a reasonable figure would be for LOC per day would be?
>

> Of course we realize that these figures are not always meaningful.   I
> remember another net contributor  comparing LOC/per day to the  number
> pounds  of airplane  Boeing builds  in a day, which, of course, is not
> very meaningful.  Nevertheless, we still need some examples from  some
> real-world Command and  Control Projects to  help with  our estimates.
>
> Just to throw out a figure, our current  estimate is  around 20-25 LOC
> per day on average, but other examples would help us determine if this
> is a good or bad estimate.
>
> Can anyone help us?  This is an urgent need, so if  you think  you can
> help please do!

We generally use a figure of about 8 SLOC per day for Ada programs.  This inclu
des
all of the activities you've mentioned.  One of the major questions would be th
e level
of documentation you expect to do.  Our estimates are based on DoD acquisitions
 with
full MIL-STD-2167(A) documentation.  Most of the programs are also much larger
than
what you've indicated.  I would guess you might get productivities as high as 1
2 SLOC
per day, but 20-25 sound real high; unless you've got a very, very good softwar
e engineering
process or very few documentation requirements.

--- Kevin Miller ---      " Just my own opinions and observations"