* Free Ada Compiler
@ 1991-09-01 21:39 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!mips!cs.uoregon.edu!ogicse!c
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!mips!cs.uoregon.edu!ogicse!c @ 1991-09-01 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of a free (public-domain or GNU-type) Ada compiler?
I'd like to begin learning Ada, but would rather spend money on rent and food.
Thanks.

--
            Neil W. Van Dyke, neil@cadreor, ogicse!cadreor!neil, (503) 690-1586
                                             The opinions expressed are my own.

* Re: Free Ada Compiler
@ 1991-09-07  6:43 William Warner
From: William Warner @ 1991-09-07  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Sep1.213902.795@cadreor.uucp> neil@cadreor.uucp (Neil Van Dyke)
 writes:
>Does anyone know of a free (public-domain or GNU-type) Ada compiler?
>I'd like to begin learning Ada, but would rather spend money on rent and food.
>Thanks.
>
>--
>            Neil W. Van Dyke, neil@cadreor, ogicse!cadreor!neil, (503) 690-158
6
>                                             The opinions expressed are my own
.

I'm looking for the same thing! I'm not waiting for GNU to release such
a thing though.

smedley@milton.u.washington |"Lefschetz had two wooden hands.", P. Halmos.
Bill Warner		    |"But his opinions were his own.", anonymous.
smedley@milton.u.washington |"Lefschetz had two wooden hands.", P. Halmos.
Bill Warner		    |"But his opinions were his own.", anonymous.

[parent not found: <12@<"29-Mar-91>]
* Free ADA compiler
@ 1991-03-29 17:58 leisner.wbst139
From: leisner.wbst139 @ 1991-03-29 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone is working on a free ADA compiler to plug into gnu C.

The quality of the GNU stuff cannot be beat!!

I happen to agree with the GNU philosophy -- software should be as free as air.

Vendors don't serve a useful role in society -- they just take your money and
don't fix bugs.

Do people really like ADA or they use it because they have to?

ADA seems to have a lot in common with PL/1.  I program in C and have no
problems.

marty
(Knowledge is useful in the Information Age)
(Software is mindstuff.  It is the hardest activity created by man)
ARPA:	leisner.wbst139@xerox.com
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:	hplabs!arisia!leisner

From: leisner.wbst139 @ 1991-03-29 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1990-12-22 17:54 leisner.wbst139
From: leisner.wbst139 @ 1990-12-22 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a good, free ADA compiler floating around?

I've used gcc on suns and am very impressed.

There's good descriptions for most machines in gcc that run Unix.

I don't know what technical problems have to be solved to host an ADA compiler
onto a Unix host with FSF machine descriptions.  Is anyone working on these
issues?

Also certification is another issue.

marty
(I'm really in Henrietta, not Webster, but the Xerox mail system doesn't
believe in people moving)