* Need help linking Ada code to Fortran on VAX/VMS
@ 1991-10-22 13:13 WEST, PHILIP D
From: WEST, PHILIP D @ 1991-10-22 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a large Ada program that I need to link with a large FORTRAN program.
It will be best if the FORTRAN program calls the Ada program, passing only
a few variables.  The Ada program, when done, needs to return a few values
back to the FORTRAN program.  This all needs to be done under VMS with the
DEC fortran and Ada compilers.

I have looked through the mixed language section of the VAX ada manuals, but
they mainly discuss linking other codes into your Ada code, the converse of
my problem.

Can anyone comment on if this is doable or not?  If so, any pointers on how
to do it, or where to look for instructions?

Many thanks,
Phil West
pwest@calsun.gatech.edu

* Re: Need help linking Ada code to Fortran on VAX/VMS
@ 1991-10-23  9:14 pa.dec.com!hollie.rdg.dec.com!player.enet.dec.com!vanavermaet
From: pa.dec.com!hollie.rdg.dec.com!player.enet.dec.com!vanavermaet @ 1991-10-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <39088@hydra.gatech.EDU>, pw2@prism.gatech.EDU (WEST, PHILIP D) writ
es...
>I have a large Ada program that I need to link with a large FORTRAN program.
>It will be best if the FORTRAN program calls the Ada program, passing only
>a few variables.  The Ada program, when done, needs to return a few values
>back to the FORTRAN program.  This all needs to be done under VMS with the
>DEC fortran and Ada compilers.
>
>I have looked through the mixed language section of the VAX ada manuals, but
>they mainly discuss linking other codes into your Ada code, the converse of
>my problem.

The VAX/VMS calling standard puts the burden on the calling program.

Have a look at the VAX Fortran User Manual, section 6.2 "Argument-Passing
Mechanisms".