* Re: FORTRAN to Ada Converter?
@ 1991-11-22  2:46 Jim Giles
From: Jim Giles @ 1991-11-22  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Nov21.152539.1@v8.vitro.com>, eswgjr@v8.vitro.com writes:

|> Are there any commercial or public domain FORTRAN to Ada converters? We are
|> currently having problems with the Public Domain version obtained from the
|> AdaNet that was developed by Advanced Technology Systems.

There was an article in this month's Computer Languages journal
by someone who is writing such a translator.  You might take
a look and write to the authors.  I don't know if they intend
it to be public domain or not though.

(Note the plural in the journal's name - it is not to be confused
with the newsstand rag: Computer Language.)

J. Giles

* Re: Fortran to Ada converter?
       [not found] <4ftd64$7v3@lfsserv1.fsc.ibm.com>
@ 1996-02-17  0:00 ` Jim Dorman
From: Jim Dorman @ 1996-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: donovant

Tim Donovan wrote:

> Does anyone know of a fortran to ada converter?
> Any help is appreciated. Please reply by e-mail.
> Thanks.
> TimSorry Tim, I don't know of any fortran to Ada converter.  However, if
you are interested in simply linking your fortran into your Ada code,
then you might be interested in trying Visual Ada95.  This is an Ada95
compiler that runs on Windows95 and NT and has an interface to Microsoft
C, Pascal, Fortran, Assembler, and Borland C.

Visual Ada95 is still being finished up, however, BETA copies are
currently available for sale.  For more information you may visit our
WEB site at: "http://www.pcada.com/pcada" where you can get information
on Ada compilers, libraries, design & documentation tools, training
tools, etc. for the major PC Ada vendors (including: IntegrAda,
Alsys (now Thomson), and Janus/Ada).

These various products are available worldwide at both commercial and
academic prices.  Stop in for a visit.  If you don't see what you are
looking for, ask!  We're still building and adding brochures on-line
everyday.  Demo disks for both DOS and Windows development are available
from our FTP site through links to the WEB site.

Or you may ask your questions by contacting us at:

Jim Dorman
Active Engineering Technologies, Inc.
914 S. Santa Fe Avenue, Suite 282
Vista, CA 92084
Voice:  (619) 414-9001
FAX:    (619) 414-9192
e-mail: jimd@pcada.com

* Re: Fortran to Ada converter?
@ 1996-02-25  0:00   ` Joe's Garage
From: Joe's Garage @ 1996-02-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone know of a fortran to ada converter?
> Any help is appreciated. Please reply by e-mail.
> Thanks.
> Tim

In 1991, I was contracting with GE Astro in Princeton.  They had a lot
of heritage FORTRAN simulation software to integrate with a new Ada
sim.  They sent me to the GE CR&D facility in Schenectady, NY to check
out a FORTRAN to Ada conversion utility.  It was called ENCORE, which
stood for ENvironment for COde REengineering.  It was not complete at
the time, but it worked fairly well.  Ran on a Sun SPARC station.  At
the time, it worked OK with Sun FORTRAN, except that it didn't know
what to do with EQUIVILANCE statements, etc...  I tossed some VAX
FORTRAN at it and pretty much stopped it in its tracks when it saw all
of the DEC extensions.  They may have worked some of that out by now,
or they may have shelved the project - I just don't know.

Since FORTRAN comes in so many flavors, such problems will plague any
such tool.  Another arguement for a single, non extensible language
standard such as Ada!

Good luck!

Bob Livingston

PS - We ended up translating some of it by hand, and using pragma
INTERFACE for the rest.

PPS - I think GE still owns CR&D - I don't think they sold it to
Martin