From: rharwood@east.pima.edu
Subject: Re: Ada compilers for Education Use
Date: 9 May 91 15:59:30 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <22551@shlump.lkg.dec.com>, brett@tle.enet.dec.com (Bevin Brett)
writes:

> What most of these authors don't realise is that some compiler vendors such as
> DIGITAL [for whom I work] have VERY substantial discounts on their Ada
> compilers when sold for educational use.

Pima Community College has licensed the VAX Ada compiler (I believe for ALL of
it's student-access VAXes), yet I am the ONLY instructor offering an Ada
course.  It might be different out "there" in the main-stream of DoD-land, but
I wonder if the statement "Oh sure I'd USE Ada if only we could get a cheap
compiler" really translates to "Hmmm, I've GOT to find an excuse somewhere for
not using a language that naturally induces good program structure."

Yes, free/cheap C compilers have contributed to its success, but as Bevin
points out, there ARE options out there if you look hard enough.

Gee... I'd drive a BMW if they were free/cheap.  Most people that want to show
"class" are willing to pay for it! <tongue firmly in cheek!>
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Associate Faculty,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731     |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu