* Harsh Language
@ 1991-04-30 20:48 Jim Showalter
From: Jim Showalter @ 1991-04-30 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've received several private e-mail messages over the past several
days complaining about my choice of language in some of my posts.
Having been raised in a family with a fairly earthy lexicon, I tend
to forget that others may not find four letter words and similar
expressions of strong position palatable. In reading various groups,
I run across such language all the time, so I was unaware that proper
netiquette is to use asterisks or to moderate the tone.

It is not my objective to offend people, but, rather, to try to educate
them. If my choice of language is thwarting that objective, it is easy
enough to modify, and I'll do so in the future.
--
* "Beyond 100,000 lines of code, you should probably be coding in Ada." *
*      - P.J. Plauger, Convener and Secretary of the ANSI C Committee   *

* Showalter abandons Ada?!?
@ 1991-05-01 23:59 ` Dick Dunn
From: Dick Dunn @ 1991-05-01 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter), a fervent Ada advocate, writes:

> It is not my objective to offend people, but, rather, to try to educate
> them. If my choice of language is thwarting that objective, it is easy
> enough to modify, and I'll do so in the future.

I guess Jim is finally going over to the C++ camp.  Never thought I'd see
the day.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

* Re: Showalter abandons Ada?!?
@ 1991-05-09  6:31   ` Jim Showalter
From: Jim Showalter @ 1991-05-09  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter), a fervent Ada advocate, writes:

>> It is not my objective to offend people, but, rather, to try to educate
>> them. If my choice of language is thwarting that objective, it is easy
>> enough to modify, and I'll do so in the future.

>I guess Jim is finally going over to the C++ camp.  Never thought I'd see
>the day.

You STAB me to the HEART, Sir! Capitulate and start writing in C++? I'd
rather eat dirt (besides, I spent a fair amount of last year investigating
C++...can I GO now?).

Isn't ambiguity wonderful? I of course never parsed "If my choice of language"
to mean computer language. To be completely clear I should have written
"If my use of colorful language".