From: rharwood@east.pima.edu
Subject: Re: Yearly Fees for Support of Compiler
Date: 9 May 91 06:02:21 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <3050@cod.NOSC.MIL>, sampson@cod.NOSC.MIL (Charles H. Sampson)
writes:

>      Actually, computer software is one of the few places where no promises
> of correctness are made, at least explicitly, as many people have noted.
> ("This software is not warrantied at all.  If it causes your house to burn
> down, don't blame us.")

Others have made similar and related statements, all (most?) of which are
relevant.

One problem with any software purchase: It's not like buying a car, where you
KNOW it was running fine when you drove it off the lot, but quit running three
blocks down the road (even after checking the fuel level!).  As Mr Sampson
continues, many users (yes, programmers become USERS when we're talking of
compiler programs) can't recognize the difference between a "broken compiler"
and a case of "not used for the purpose for which it was intended" (which VOIDS
most appliance warranties!).

Rechecking most of your appliance (a.k.a. "hardware") warranties, you'll find
that most items are indeed warranteed against MANUFACTURING defects, but not
against "neglect or intentional misuse".  Frankly, most appliance manufacturers
would rather give you a new product so they can get the old one back in the lab
to figure out "what went wrong" and "how to fix/prevent it."  Software makers
don't need your old floppies to analyze compiler bugs.

When will we "computer scientists" stop applying hardware rules to software?
Only when software becomes as reliable and as comparatively cheap as the stuff
on which it comes to life...

{This posting is NOT a "flame"... just a poetic observation and comment".}
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Associate Faculty,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731     |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu