From: orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich)
Subject: Re: How should DoD further Ada education?
Date: Thu, 30 May 91 09:43:27 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <0D010010.mqixud@brain.UUCP> chuck@brain.UUCP writes:

>In article <2289@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil>,
>schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:
>>
>> 3.  How do we expand the number of Ada-literate people coming out of the
>> universities?
>>

>Simple, stop teaching Pascal as a first language and use Ada. I can' believe
>how many university curricula still rely on Pascal as a teaching language.
>Is this because the professors themselves aren't Ada-literate? Maybe this
>is where the first thrust should be...

When I taught at the University of Georgia (Athens), the first language course
was taught on 8088 machines with 640K of memory and 2-360K floppies.
The students were required to purchase their OWN copy of Turbo Pascal.

I know of no Ada compiler that is viable in such an environment.

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)