From: jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter)
Subject: Re: Reserve Demobilization System Built Around Reused Ada Code
Date: 30 May 91 00:47:37 GMT	[thread overview]

chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) writes:
>In article <9105271627.AA29654@grebyn.com>, karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:
>> Lt. Gen Jerome Hilmes, director of information systems for command, control,
>> communications and computers, said Army programmers were able to design a
>> 900,000-line demobilization system in 30 days for about $500,000.  The quick
>> programming turnaround was possible because about 800,000 lines of the Ada
>> code were borrowed from previously designed systems, he said.
>>
>This sounds like a simple enhancement job, not "new" development. 90% code
>reuse is more like 10% enhancement and maintenance.

But this is precisely the direction we SHOULD be trying to head when we
develop software! I can't think of a very strong business case for NOT
reusing 800KSLOC whenever it is possible to do so, can you? Were that
MORE projects achieved 90% code reuse, particularly if my taxes are
paying for them.
--
**************** JIM SHOWALTER, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ****************
*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects*