From: orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich)
Subject: Re: Reducing VMS Ada .exe sizes... How?
Date: 23 May 91 10:13:59 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991May22.133537.419@software.org> stluka@software.org (Fred Stluka) writes:
>I am only building one program.  It "with"s a large Ada
>package containing hundreds of routines (Ada bindings to
>a non-Ada collection of routines).  I only call a couple
>of the routines, but the entire package, and therefore
>all of the non-Ada routines also, get linked into the
>executable image.
>
>Any way to avoid this large image size, short of breaking
>up the Ada bindings package into multiple packages?  Would
>subunits help?

This may not help your situation much, but the problem is with the dumb linker
that you seem to have in your environment. Some Ada systems are able to figure
out which entry-points are never used and to not include them in the run-time
image. (The professional version of Meridian Ada and/or Janus Ada come to mind,
but you'd best check with the vendors for reliable information). The Turbo
Pascal compiler also does this (proof of concept, for whatever that is worth).

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)