From: stluka@software.org (Fred Stluka)
Subject: Re: Reducing VMS Ada .exe sizes... How?
Date: 22 May 91 13:35:37 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <965@hwee.UUCP> osman@hwee (Osman) writes:
> Maybe I've missed the point but have you considered compiling some of the
> modules into a shareable image (or using them as a shareable image). This has
> the advantage that if you use them in several sets of programs you still only
> need one file.

Doesn't help (I think).

I am only building one program.  It "with"s a large Ada
package containing hundreds of routines (Ada bindings to
a non-Ada collection of routines).  I only call a couple
of the routines, but the entire package, and therefore
all of the non-Ada routines also, get linked into the
executable image.

Any way to avoid this large image size, short of breaking
up the Ada bindings package into multiple packages?  Would
subunits help?

I think the problem would go away if I could convert the
single Ada bindings package into an object module library,
or shareable image, with one object per routine.  Then I
could get the linker to selectively link in individual
Ada bindings routines.  I'd rather not have to modify the
source too much to do this though.

--Fred
--

Fred Stluka                              Internet: stluka@software.org
Software Productivity Consortium         UUNET:    ...!uunet!software!stluka