From: ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden)
Subject: Re: Socioeconomics, Ada, C++
Date: 18 May 91 02:28:31 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.91May6233619@world.std.com>, Gregory Aharonian writes:

>    Only in central planned economies are "obviously great" ideas
>    "successful" nationally. In free markets, [it's the] survival of
>    the "fittest".  Considering the number of students learning C++,
>    the number of commercial enterprises using C++ voluntarily for
>    their products, and the number of companies able to make their
>    living supplying reusable C++ libraries and services - versus the
>    Ada world - one can only conclude that C++ is the "fittest", while
>    it is plain to see that Ada is "obviously great".
>
>    The technical superiority of C++ or Ada is irrelevant, no one will
>    ever agree. What counts to people trying to make a living in free
>    markets is what sells. And all I see selling is C++.

Here's the rub.  40 Years ago or so, the government actually WAS in a
position top dictate terms to industry in areas such as programming
languages.  Cobol flew because the industry was in its infancy, and
there were no better answers floating around out there in industry;  the
banks and insurance companies bought off on it, and the rest is history.
Ada backers obviously think nothing has ever changed since then, whereas
in fact, a great deal has changed.  Not only is government no longer
either the dominant player or in any position to dictate such terms, but
there are several FAR better answers out there in common usage, the most
obvious of which is C++.

Reality dictates that DOD cannot afford to proceed with Ada any further
than it has.  Aside from the multitude of unbelievable problems which
are involved with Ada itself, the real kicker is that we are about to
see the entire mainstream of American computer science using C++, and
DOD off in left field in a little toilet-bowl of its own making, paying
ten times the going rate and taking ten times the time for everything
they ever do;  they'll get no help other than from small-potatoes
organizations such as Janus and/or Meridian etc. etc.  And all of this
in an era of declining budgets.

Ted Holden
HTE