From: stluka@software.org (Fred Stluka)
Subject: Re: Question about Ada renaming...
Date: 21 Mar 91 16:14:38 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <9103201431.AA27295@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> NCOHEN@IBM.COM ("Norman H. Cohen") writes:
> Fred Stluka asked whether the type marks A.INT and AAA.INT, where A is a
> renaming of package AAA, should be considered to conform.  According to
> Ada 83 rules, they should not.
> Conformance is not transitive:  Though A.INT conforms to INT and INT
> conforms to AAA.INT, A.INT does not conform to AAA.INT.

Thanks for the definitive answer, Norm.

Another question:  Why is it defined this way?  For ease of
implementation only?  Or is there another reason?  I couldn't
find the answer in the "Rationale for the Design of the Ada
Programming Language".

Finally:  What are the dates of the most current versions of
the rationale document (my copy is copyrighted 1986), and the
Ada "Implementer's Guide" (various pages of my copy are marked:
     "DRAFT Version G1; 82-09-29",
     "DRAFT Version G2; 84-12-26",
     "DRAFT Version G1; 85-05-01",
etc)?  And where can I get current versions?

Thanks,
--Fred
--

Fred Stluka                              Internet: stluka@software.org
Software Productivity Consortium         UUNET:    ...!uunet!software!stluka