From: jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter)
Subject: Re: Patriot problem, more info available?
Date: 7 Jun 91 08:04:45 GMT	[thread overview]

>I am particularly interested in the connection
>between four days of operation and a software failure.
>Based on no more than the newspaper article I wonder
>if a dynamic memory got fragmented and slow with time.

That's certainly how it reads. I've been told by people
involved with the project that the system is programmed in a
mixture of assembly, FORTRAN, and JOVIAL--but from the way it
failed it sounds more like LISP!

>there may be a
>lesson-learned here for real-time Ada software.

Indeed there is--avoid access types as much as possible.
--
**************** JIM SHOWALTER, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ****************
*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects*