From: jcardow@afit.af.mil (James E. Cardow)
Subject: Re: How Ada is failing socially
Date: 25 Jun 91 15:09:40 GMT	[thread overview]

srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

>     If Ada is so great, and the US government is spending so many billions
>on Ada software development, why is the marketplace for Ada tools and
>libraries non-existent?
>			Ada          -       10
> 			Assembly     -       32
>			Basic        -       65
>			C            -      289
>			C++	     -      111
>			Clipper      -       38
>			Cobol        -       15
>			Fortran      -       53
>			Modula-2     -       11
>			Pascal       -       56

>It also doesn't help that in the multi-billion dollar commercial MIS world,
>someone very big is sending a message that Ada has no role in their future
>software engineering plans.

Interesting arguement.  I just have one question.  Given the volume of Cobol
in the world (good, bad, or whatever), what does your argument say about the
socialization of Cobol?  I would like to think the world is converting to
other languages, but I'm afraid all that I can draw from you tables is that
the market in the PC world, in terms of volume of unit sold (not dollars) is for
small end tools, especially in light of your last comment on the multi-billion
dollar commercial MIS world..

	Jim Cardow, Capt, USAF
	Air Force Institute of Technology
	Instructor in Software Engineering
	Professional Continuing Education Program

		E-mail:  jcardow@blackbird.afit.af.mil