* c++ vs ada results
@ 1991-06-12 16:47 alan dare
From: alan dare @ 1991-06-12 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Netlanders,

	A short time ago I put a request out for information on c++ vs
Ada. I was hoping for several responses from people on both sides of the
fence that were working on graphics applications. As my primary application
is graphics. What did I receive? I received more requests to post the results
than I received mail from people using c++ or Ada. I received only two
messages from people using c++ in a graphics application and none from
anyone using Ada. There were several messages from general users of c++
and only a few from Ada users. A kind soul FAX'ed me a document "A comparison
of Experiences with the Maintenance of Object-Oriented Systems: Ada vs. C++".
I didn't try to post a summary of the article (it's to big). The comments
below were sent to me. I don't claim any responsibility for them. I don't
currently use c++ or Ada. The comments are provided as a request from many
people. Please don't use this posting to start a language war.

The first post went to the following news groups:
	comp.sys.sgi
	comp.graphics
	alt.graphics
	comp.lang.ada
	comp.lang.c++

The comments below were edited only to reduce size, not content.

*** Graphics *************************************

o	I use C++ for graphics work. We considered ADA.
	Both have great pluses and a lot of minuses.
	Mostly the minuses are finding existing graphics packages
	which are compatible. They are rare with C++ and non-existent
	with ADA to my knowledge.

o	Ada has lots of features totally irrelevant to graphics
	which cost something in compile time even on a compiler that
	produces efficient code.  It has no particular features to
	reccommend it for graphics particularly over any of the common
	block-structured languages.

*** PRO ADA Comments *****************************

o	The Ada MIL-SPEC and validation suites do a
        lot to insure a consistent interpretation of the
        language across platforms and vendors.  No such
        validation or "frozen" specification exists for
        C++.  This causes lost time and less portability.

o       Ada's Packages and Generic Packages are a
        lot easier to design for than C++ classes.

o       Ada has better support for embedded systems'
        work than C++.  C++'s OO mechanisms
        (particurlarly dynamic binding) exact a performance
        penalty that will not be acceptable for some
        hard real-time systems.  This will be less
        important in the future, as hardware gets
        faster and applications get more complicated
        (thus requiring the complexity-management
        mechanisms offered by languages like C++).
        Ada 9X will probably suffer similar performance
        penalties on the same kinds of mechanisms.

*** CON ADA Comments *****************************

o	The language is too big for the few benefits over C++ that
	it features.

o       Ada is a "weaker" language than C++ in expressing
        OO concepts (e.g. inheritance, polymorphism).
        Packages, Generic Packages and Ada's overloaded
        operators aren't enough.  Ada 9X will supposedly
        deal with these issues, but it will be at least a decade
        before the Ada 9X environment is truly widely
        available at a reasonable cost.

o	ADA compilers tend to cost real money.

o	ADA suffers from having way too many features -- probably
	an artifact of the design-by-committee process.  It's such a
	huge language that a programmer may never fully "learn" it.

o	Converting code to ADA from anything is a problem.

o	ADA still tends to be slow, though that problem is slowly
	going away.

o	Ada is only object-based (it has no inheritance), while
	C++ _is_ object-oriented.

*** PRO C++ Comments *****************************

o       The dynamic binding, polymorphism and inheritance mechanisms
	are *extremely* powerful, and very useful in graphical
	applications.  Future enhancements including parameterized
        types (== Ada "Generic Packages") and exceptions
	(== Ada exceptions) are going to be equally powerful.

o	After extensive reading and personal evaluation, I came to the
	conclusion the ADA implementions are far worse than the C
	implementations (I use the stuff from GNU, don't see how anyone
	can write better software).

o	C++ compilers are cheap -- the GNU family is free, and runs
	on a number of different architectures.  You can get the source
	code so that you can fix it if it's broken.

o	C++ seems to be a reasonably clean design; the features tend to
	be orthogonal and complete.  A competent programmer can probably
	"learn" C++ pretty well in a month.

o	Converting code from C to C++ isn't a big problem.  (And with
	some of the Fortran-to-C translators that are publicly available,
	the Fortran->C->C++ path, while a bit of a pain, isn't
	completely daunting.)

o	C++ runs just about as fast as C, i.e. it's plenty fast enough
	to write things like volume renderers.

*** CON C++ Comments *****************************

o	The tools for working with it maybe not as mature as ada tools.

o	C++ is hard to master.

o       C++ has reasonable OO mechanisms, but they
        are difficult to learn, and more difficult to use
        effectively.  This is partially due to the low
        quality of the documentation, which is quickly
        changing.

*** GENERAL Comments *****************************

o       There are a lot more Ada people out there, at
        the moment, than C++ people.  There will probably
        be a lot more C++ people in the future than Ada
        people, simply because the language is more
        accessable to more people (Gnu C++ is free, for
        example; "Turbo C++" costs ~$60; AT&T is
        very generous in licensing to Universities).

o       There will probably be a lot more C++ compilers
        available on a lot more platforms than Ada
        compilers in the future (the costs of validation
        are high; reuse of AT&T code  or GNU code
        is cheap).

I would like to thank the following for responding to my post :

baker@csl.dl.nec.com
blbates@aero36.larc.nasa
brendan@illyria.wpd.sgi.com
fmhv@inesc.inesc.pt
jansm@cih.hcuge.ch
jdt@voodoo.boeing.com
jls@netcom.com
jshumate@logdis1.wr.aflc.af.mil
leisner.henr801c@xerox.com
richard@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
rsk@gynko.circ.upenn.edu
uselton@nas.nasa.gov

Alan Dare                     |  Internet : alan@hal.larc.nasa.gov
NASA Langley Research Center  |

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-06-24 23:59 Chuck Shotton
From: Chuck Shotton @ 1991-06-24 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1107.286584f0@vger.nsu.edu>, g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) writes:
> Do chief programmer teams really work anywhere outside of a university
> classroom or in an experimental industrial setting?

Approaches to running large scale development efforts appear to run the full
spectrum from totally autonomous hacker collectives to dictatorial chief
programmer authoritarian states. From practical experience, I can relate you
a few success stories on some MEDIUM-sized (20-50 member teams) development
efforts.

An approach that seems to work well (with Ada) on data and user oriented
application code tasks is this. First, and foremost, all members of the development
team need to feel that they can make a constructive contribution to the DESIGN
as well as the more mundane coding effort. This has the effect of getting
everyone "signed up" to the grand vision of the system. All the programmers,
designers, and systems engineers have some stake in the quality of the final
product, because they are allowed to participate throughout the entire life
cycle. The concept of an "elite" design team dictating system architectures
to a "serf" class of coders is offensive to all but the most uncreative of
Ada programmers.

Before I get flamed to death, let me point out that on the tasks I've managed,
programmed on, or designed, it was VERY important for management to be fully
aware of the individual talents of each programmer. Then, structure the team
in such a way that each (productive) member of the team can make a constructive
contribution to the level of their abilities. Practical experience has also
shown that most managers don't show the slightest inclination towards doing
this.

On the SSE project, our most successful development efforts involved
teams of designer/developers who had cradle to grave involvement with the
software's life cycle. Every task that got in trouble or resulted in a less
than optimal solution was characterized by a few individuals mandating design
decisions on a staff of talented (and ultimately, resentful) developers. These
"problem" tasks also had serious trouble achieving a common vision of the
final system. The moral of the story seems to be: Where practical, allow the
greatest possible involvement in analysis and design activities by the people
who are ultimately going to code the system.

Not only is everyone "signed up" to the vision, but you end up educating a
bunch of developers to be something more than code slaves in a body shop.

[I have NO idea what this message has to do with comp.lang.ada, other than
the fact that all of this "experience" was gleaned from Ada development tasks.]

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:  cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
                              UUCP:      ...!buster!brain!chuck
"Your silly quote here."      AppleLink: D1683       MacNet: shotton

* chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-06-25 14:40 John McHugh
From: John McHugh @ 1991-06-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

The seminal reference on CPTs is:

@Article[Bakertimes,
      Author=<Baker, F. T.>,
      Journal=<IBM Systems Journal>,
      key=<Baker>,
      Title=<Chief Programmer Team Management of Production Programming>,
      Year=<1972>,
      Volume=<11>,
      Number=<1>
]

This provides a more detailed exposition than is given in chapter 3 of
Brooks.  There were a number of other articles and reports during the
1970s.  I used the CPT organization for several programming projects
at NOAA during the early 70's and found it successful when a team with
the proper skills mix could be put together.

John McHugh
Visiting Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science
The University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC, 27599-3175

Voice (919) 962-1826
Fax   (919) 962-1799
Email mchugh@cs.unc.edu

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-06-26  5:19 Chuck Shotton
From: Chuck Shotton @ 1991-06-26  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Jun26.005625.25608@netcom.COM>, jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:
> If everyone tries to design the architecture, the result is not an
> architecture at all--it is a camel. Design by committee is generally
> regarded as a bad idea, yet you seem to be advocating a really big
> committee in your post. Or am I just confused?

The point I was trying to make is that the concept of an Ada "coder" is antiquated.
Once upon a time, when designer could draw flow charts and make entries on
coding sheets, it was easy for the worker drones to turn that info into Cobol
or Fortran. A "coder" has clerical, mundane, non-creative connotations. Basically,
it's someone who takes someone else's ideas and turns them into syntactically
correct code.

My point is that this concept of a few people PRESUMING to understand all
the intricacies of a system and mandating design decisions to a group of "coders"
is out of date. It's the "aerospace way," and is probably the single biggest
reason why there is a crisis in engineering and delivering large systems.

When working on "mega" systems (500K+ SLOCs), no handful of humans can keep
it all straight. I can't begin to count the number of times where Joe Coder
has had a totally novel idea that made huge differences in the architecture
as engineered by a few "Chief Programmers".

I'm not advocating design by committee by any stretch of the imagination.
Design by consensus, yes! My experience has shown that EVERY time there is
contention or disagreement during the design process, it is because of only
2 reasons. 1) Existing design Ideas are not being effectively communicated,
or 2) Someone actually has a better idea. In the first case, I want to make
sure everyone on the team UNDERSTANDS the system, so I want everyone to have
input during the design process. This input is a measure of their level of
understanding. In the second case, I certainly don't want to overlook a better
approach by relegating a talented individual to a role of Ada coder.

I am certainly NOT advocationg a totally egalitarian approach to design and
implementation. That would presume that all designers/developers are equally
talented in all aspects of the job. I was very careful to point out that MANAGEMENT
must accept the responsibility for determining the level to which each individual
can contribute and allow them to do so.

This approach falls somewhere between "chief programmer" teams, and hacker
approaches to problem solving. The value lies in creating a team environment
where everyone is allowed to contribute in a constructive fashion to the design
and architecture of the final system. Notice I said "contribute." That doesn't
imply that all contributions are equally valid, nor must all contributions
be accomodated. It only implies that contributions must be allowed. Someone
must have the final decision as to what stays or goes.

Given that Ada lends itself well to decomposition that often follows the CSCI
decomposition of a system, it allows an organization to mirror the architecture
and people can contribute at the level they are comfortable with and responsible
for.

If people feel they are part of the process, you're more likely to receive
their maximum effort. The result being a quality product that is somewhat
better than "good enough." In an industry (DoD contracting) where there is
little to no incentive (eg. cost plus contracts) to do an on-time, above-average
job, every little bit helps.

This is sort of a religous subject, and it certainly has a lot to do with
management styles. I prefer to treat all individuals in a team environment as
equals until they prove otherwise. (This give MY managers major heartburn...)
Many people in this business see programmers as commodities to be tossed at
a problem (billing hours, all the while). These are the people that still
subscribe to the mythical man month. Type A, Theory X, call it what you will.
It manifests itself in all its glory on "Chief Programmer" tasks.

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:  cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
BIAP Systems                  UUCP:      ...!buster!brain!chuck

@ 1991-06-26 17:00 Jim ADCOCK
From: Jim ADCOCK @ 1991-06-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Jun25.193018.14571@zip.eecs.umich.edu> warack@dip.eecs.umich.ed
u (Christopher Warack) writes:
>In article <1991Jun25.183805.9549@netcom.COM> jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) w
rites:
>>nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:
>>>jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:

Please use comp.object or some other neutral forum to "discuss" the
"relative advantages" of various programming languages.

Please leave individual language forums such as comp.lang.c++ or
comp.lang.ada open for people to ask questions about their individual
languages and hopefully receive answers.

Some of us have been reading comp.lang.c++ and/or comp.lang.ada and/or
comp.lang.xyz for several years now, and have read literally dozens
of these inter-language "comparisons."  We have heard many of the same
"comparisons" made between the many of the same languages many times over.
The only result has been that some of the most experienced programmers
refuse to read or contribute to their particular language groups anymore,
finding them too much of a waste of time.

These comparisons seem to do nothing to convince programmers to switch
from their favorite language to another one.  Please then, can we
try to leave the individual language forums open to discuss the
individual languages, so that programmers programming in their favorite
languages can at least be as informed and intelligent about that
language as possible?

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-07-03  1:48 Jim Showalter
From: Jim Showalter @ 1991-07-03  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) writes:

>Please use comp.object or some other neutral forum to "discuss" the
>"relative advantages" of various programming languages.

Well, comp.object certainly isn't the forum--every time a language
comparison starts up there someone flames it too.

Perhaps we should have comp.lang.C-is-the-best and comp.lang.C-bites,
since those seem to be the two most common positions taken.
--
*** LIMITLESS SOFTWARE, Inc: Jim Showalter, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ****
*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects*

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-07-03  3:09 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1991-07-03  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <73164@microsoft.UUCP> jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) writes:
>Please use comp.object or some other neutral forum to "discuss" the
>"relative advantages" of various programming languages.

Amen!

>Please leave individual language forums such as comp.lang.c++ or
>comp.lang.ada open for people to ask questions about their individual
>languages and hopefully receive answers.

Thank you for expressing this so well; I hope it works this time.

>These comparisons seem to do nothing to convince programmers to switch
>from their favorite language to another one.  Please then, can we
>try to leave the individual language forums open to discuss the
>individual languages, so that programmers programming in their favorite
>languages can at least be as informed and intelligent about that
>language as possible?

Every so often a little bit of comparative languages is good, for example to
explain a bit of Ada in terms of someone else's experience in Pascal, say
(as a comparative languages teacher I have foubd this usually to be helpful).
But the endless comparisons alternating with flames and sometimes degenerating
to ad hominem attacks gets to be boring and distasteful. I'll try to do
my part on this. Thanks again for posting it.

Mike
Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 U.S.A.

phone 202-994-5253
fax   202-994-5296
email mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-07-03  3:11 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1991-07-03  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Jul3.014818.825@netcom.COM> jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) writ
es:
>Perhaps we should have comp.lang.C-is-the-best and comp.lang.C-bites,
>since those seem to be the two most common positions taken.

I suggest alt.language.jihad.

Mike

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-07-03 16:10 gdtltr@limbo.org (The Befuddled One)
From: gdtltr@limbo.org (The Befuddled One) @ 1991-07-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3432@sparko.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
=>In article <1991Jul3.014818.825@netcom.COM> jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) wr
ites:
=>>Perhaps we should have comp.lang.C-is-the-best and comp.lang.C-bites,
=>>since those seem to be the two most common positions taken.
=>
=>I suggest alt.language.jihad.
=>
   Alternatively, there is always alt.religion.computers.

=>Mike

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                              duzan@cis.udel.edu
   _o_                        ------------------                          _o_

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-07-04 14:49 Ralph Reid III
From: Ralph Reid III @ 1991-07-04 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <73164@microsoft.UUCP> jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) writes:
>. . .
>Please use comp.object or some other neutral forum to "discuss" the
>"relative advantages" of various programming languages.
>
>Please leave individual language forums such as comp.lang.c++ or
>comp.lang.ada open for people to ask questions about their individual
>languages and hopefully receive answers.
>
>Some of us have been reading comp.lang.c++ and/or comp.lang.ada and/or
>comp.lang.xyz for several years now, and have read literally dozens
>of these inter-language "comparisons."  We have heard many of the same
>"comparisons" made between the many of the same languages many times over.
>The only result has been that some of the most experienced programmers
>refuse to read or contribute to their particular language groups anymore,
>finding them too much of a waste of time.
>
>. . .

Yeah!  Some one wanna start a comp.lang.comp group?

--
Ralph.  N6BNO.
Compuserve - 72250.3521@compuserve.com.  Phone 1-916-345-9155.

* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)
@ 1991-07-12 14:01 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!uupsi!mstr!mstr!jcm
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!uupsi!mstr!mstr!jcm @ 1991-07-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Jul04.144950.1570@ecst.csuchico.edu> rreid@ecst.csuchico.edu (R
alph Reid III) writes:
>In article <73164@microsoft.UUCP> jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) writes:
>>. . .
>>Please use comp.object or some other neutral forum to "discuss" the
>>"relative advantages" of various programming languages.
>>
>>Please leave individual language forums such as comp.lang.c++ or
>>comp.lang.ada open for people to ask questions about their individual
>>languages and hopefully receive answers.
>>
>>Some of us have been reading comp.lang.c++ and/or comp.lang.ada and/or
>>comp.lang.xyz for several years now, and have read literally dozens
>>of these inter-language "comparisons."  We have heard many of the same
>>"comparisons" made between the many of the same languages many times over.
>>The only result has been that some of the most experienced programmers
>>refuse to read or contribute to their particular language groups anymore,
>>finding them too much of a waste of time.
>>
>>. . .
>
>Yeah!  Some one wanna start a comp.lang.comp group?

Well, comp.lang.misc already exists and seems the ideal forum.

>--
>Ralph.  N6BNO.
>Compuserve - 72250.3521@compuserve.com.  Phone 1-916-345-9155.
>lectromail- rreid@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu.
>I do not waste time expressing others' opinions!

-- Jim

*
Jim McKim  (203)-548-2458   _Give_ people fish and they eat for a day.
Internet:  jcm@mstr.hgc.edu _Teach_ people to fish and they eat for a lifetime.