* Re: Reserve Demobilization System Built Around Reused Ada Code
@ 1991-06-05 18:57 John Goodenough
From: John Goodenough @ 1991-06-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article Re: Reserve Demobilization System Built Around Reused Ada Code of
30 May 91 18:30:53 GMT chuck@brain.UUCP writes:

> code. It is misleading to the customer and the industry at large to portray
> such development efforts as true reuse. I am NOT demeaning the achievement.
> Let's just call a spade a spade. Maybe "rapid tailoring" or "rapid
reengineering"
> is a more suitable term for this type of approach.

It is my impression that the figures quoted for high levels of software reuse
and productivity in Japan are often based on just this kind of "rapid
tailoring" or "rapid reengineering".  I remember a paper some years ago
concerned with generating process control software by a Japanese company in
which they reported high levels of software reuse because they were tailoring
their standard software to each customer's needs.  Should we call it reuse
when the end user is different, and otherwise call it enhancement?  Depends
on
what techno-political games you want to play...

John B. Goodenough					Goodenough@sei.cmu.edu
Software Engineering Institute				412-268-6391

* Re: Reserve Demobilization System Built Around Reused Ada Code
@ 1991-05-30 18:30 Chuck Shotton
From: Chuck Shotton @ 1991-05-30 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991May30.004737.24473@netcom.COM>, jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:
> >This sounds like a simple enhancement job, not "new" development. 90% code
> >reuse is more like 10% enhancement and maintenance.
>
> But this is precisely the direction we SHOULD be trying to head when we
> develop software! I can't think of a very strong business case for NOT
> reusing 800KSLOC whenever it is possible to do so, can you? Were that
> MORE projects achieved 90% code reuse, particularly if my taxes are
> paying for them.

I don't disagree one bit. What I hate to see is another contractor horn-blowing
what was ultimately a rehashing of existing code. It was certainly NOT a
properly engineered system that drew on an established repository of reusable
code. It is misleading to the customer and the industry at large to portray
such development efforts as true reuse. I am NOT demeaning the achievement.
Let's just call a spade a spade. Maybe "rapid tailoring" or "rapid reengineering"
is a more suitable term for this type of approach.

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu

* Re: Reserve Demobilization System Built Around Reused Ada Code
@ 1991-05-28 11:02 Chuck Shotton
From: Chuck Shotton @ 1991-05-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9105271627.AA29654@grebyn.com>, karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:
> Lt. Gen Jerome Hilmes, director of information systems for command, control,
> communications and computers, said Army programmers were able to design a
> 900,000-line demobilization system in 30 days for about $500,000.  The quick
> programming turnaround was possible because about 800,000 lines of the Ada
> code were borrowed from previously designed systems, he said.

This sounds like a simple enhancement job, not "new" development. 90% code
reuse is more like 10% enhancement and maintenance.

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
"Your silly quote here."      UUCP:       ...!buster!brain!chuck

* Reserve Demobilization System Built Around Reused Ada Code
@ 1991-05-27 16:27 Karl A. Nyberg
From: Karl A. Nyberg @ 1991-05-27 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

From Government Computer News, May 13, 1991, p. 63.

The theory that Ada programming will get chaper as the Defense Department
cashes in on the language's potential for reuse apparently has proved true
for at least one Army system.

Lt. Gen Jerome Hilmes, director of information systems for command, control,
communications and computers, said Army programmers were able to design a
900,000-line demobilization system in 30 days for about $500,000.  The quick
programming turnaround was possible because about 800,000 lines of the Ada
code were borrowed from previously designed systems, he said.

The Army will use the new system as it deactivates more than 200,000
reservists called up to support the Persian Gulf war.  The system, which
automates the Army's standard discharge for for the first time, runs on AT&T
Co. 3B2 minicomputers at seven locations.

Hilmes said the system will reduce by a factor of two the time it takes to
send a reservist back to civilian life.  It was designed as part of the
Army's continuing Installation Support Module program.

Under ISM, the Army has standardized about eight servicewide functions
performed at Army bases worldwide.  So far, ISM officials "overall are
getting about 56 percent reuse of the code they generate", he said.

Hilmes spoke at a recent Armed Forces Communications and Electronics
Association budget symposium in Arlington, VA.