From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!ispd-newsserver!ism.isc. com!b1!ico!auto-trol!mattel@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Matt Telles)
Subject: Re: Is CM important? (was: Use pragma INLINE or not?)
Date: 8 Jul 91 15:45:27 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Jul3.233045.11174@netcom.COM> jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) wr
ites:
>Mike asks what should be dropped from a computer science curriculum in
>order to make room for more software engineering courses.
>
>General ed.
>
>Yes, yes--I've heard all the talk about how we want to turn out fully
>formed humans with wide ranging interests in things as diverse as
>foreign languages, Shakespeare, etc.
>
>Bull.
>
>What we OUGHT to be turning out is crack software engineers with a sound
>background in fundamental computer science. If Shakespeare has to take
>a backseat to that, so be it. The rationale for forcing someone who is
>not interested in, say, 14th century history to learn it anyway has always
>eluded me--it's not as if the person comes away from a course on it that
>he/she was forced to take and that interfered with their actual area of
>study any wiser, happier, or more inclined to love history. Let those
>who have wide-ranging interests pursue them, by all means--but let those
>who are techo-weenies and who will always BE techno-weenies at least
>excel at it.
>--
>*** LIMITLESS SOFTWARE, Inc: Jim Showalter, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ***
*
>*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects
*
>*of software development. Management/process/methodology. Architecture/design/
*
>*reuse. Quality/productivity. Risk reduction. EFFECTIVE OO usage. Ada/C++.
*

Jim,
   This really doesn't belong in comp.lang.ada (Maybe comp.software-eng??)  but
I will answer your comment anyway.  I am a programmer/system engineer/whatever
you want to call me.  I work with many other programmers, many of whom:

   * cannot write in English (or any other non-programming language).
   * cannot reasonably understand user requirements because they do not have an
common frame of reference.
   * cannot do the job because of the above two points.

   If you want to drop something from the Computer Science degree area, try the
following:

   - Calculus:  No one uses the stuff anyway and you can always look it up.
   - Algebra :  ""
   - FORTRAN :  This is obvious ..

   - Ada     :  Hey! This way the rest of us can get jobs ..

:)'s for the  humor impaired .....

Matt

Matt Telles 	                 mattel@auto-trol.COM
                                 {...}ncar!ico!auto-trol!mattel
Auto-trol Technology 12500 N Washington Denver, CO 80241-2404 (303)252-2874