* Re: chief programmer team organizations was (c++ vs ada results)H
@ 1991-07-04 22:30 Operator
From: Operator @ 1991-07-04 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Showalter) writes:

|>    If someone can provide me with an explanation for why junior
programmers
|>    should be making architectural decisions affecting the entire
project,
|>    I'm all ears.

1: Junior programmers are less experienced, not (necessarily) less
intelligent, less innovative,
less educated, or less resourceful.
1.1: Age has a fairly direct impact on beauty, but on brainpower no
strong correlation has been deomonstrated.

2: Junior programmers are (usually) closer to "fresh out of school" than
we, which means (in general)
2.1: their Profs taught them the solutions to the mistakes that our
Profs made teaching us
2.2: Their education is based on less obsolete hardware, software, and
engineering paradigms than ours
2.3: they are less resistant to learning a new method to solving the
problem at hand than the relativly more
crusted, wizened, and lofty senior.

3: Further embarrassments available upon request, but please keep in
mind that the "half life" of experience in
the computer engineering field is about 5 years. I.e. what you learned 5
years ago is loosing the last parts of its'
relavence now.

Brian (the Senior and student of the Juniors) Brunner

* Re: c++ vs ada results
@ 1991-06-18 12:28 Mats Henricson
From: Mats Henricson @ 1991-06-18 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:

>[I've cut the newsgroups down to a reasonable number.]

>>>Indeed. Note that this contradicts the claim made earlier that C++ is
>>>easy to learn.

>>You are truly showing your foolishness here.  Most people out of grade
>>school realize there is a difference between "learning" something and
>>"mastering" it.  I guess you're just special, aren't you?

>The person I was responding to was talking about the difficulty of
>learning to write good programs in C++. He chose the term "master"
>to denote this. I chose the term "learn" to denote this same idea.
>Why this warranted a personal attack is beyond me, particularly
>since you seem to have not taken issue with the key point of the
>exchange, namely that getting good at writing programs in C++ is hard
>to do.

I have started to see two different kinds of programmers in C++:
1. Library designers
2. Library users

The first kind of programmers is doing some tricky nasty hacking behind the
scenes of the interface of the classes, to satisfy the second kind of users.

I have so far only done programming as a library designer, and I think that
is *VERY* difficult if you try to produce code that is:
a) fast
b) not wasting memory
c) usable
d) reusable (in terms of subclasses)
e) etc
f) etc
g) etc

If you, on the other hand, have a well designed class library to build from,
I think C++ is a beautiful and easy language to use.

Mats Henricson, Sweden