From: netcomsv!jls@apple.com  (Jim Showalter)
Subject: Re: Is CM important? (was: Use pragma INLINE or not?)
Date: 3 Jul 91 23:30:45 GMT	[thread overview]

Mike asks what should be dropped from a computer science curriculum in
order to make room for more software engineering courses.

General ed.

Yes, yes--I've heard all the talk about how we want to turn out fully
formed humans with wide ranging interests in things as diverse as
foreign languages, Shakespeare, etc.

Bull.

What we OUGHT to be turning out is crack software engineers with a sound
background in fundamental computer science. If Shakespeare has to take
a backseat to that, so be it. The rationale for forcing someone who is
not interested in, say, 14th century history to learn it anyway has always
eluded me--it's not as if the person comes away from a course on it that
he/she was forced to take and that interfered with their actual area of
study any wiser, happier, or more inclined to love history. Let those
who have wide-ranging interests pursue them, by all means--but let those
who are techo-weenies and who will always BE techno-weenies at least
excel at it.
--
*** LIMITLESS SOFTWARE, Inc: Jim Showalter, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ****
*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects*