From: netcomsv!jls@apple.com  (Jim Showalter)
Subject: Re: Is CM important? (was: Use pragma INLINE or not?)
Date: 3 Jul 91 23:23:36 GMT	[thread overview]

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) writes:

>Real programmers make mistakes: syntactic errors, letter transpositions,
>even (horrors!) logic errors. I like to check in after every edit, so
>all those errors are visible. So what? If it "taxes" your CM system to
>have a lot of check-ins then you need a new CM system.

>Or would you rather see an afternoon of work go down the tubes because of
>a power flicker?

This makes no sense to me. If I have saved a file to disk, it is saved
whether it is checked in or not. I don't check in stuff I'm not yet happy
with--why would I want to store line differentials on a piece of crud?
The only reason I can see for checking something in is to have a record
of milestone to which I would WANT to return should I decide I want to
revert later on. I hardly think I'm going to want to revert to something
shot full of syntax errors, letter transpositions, and logic errors.
--
*** LIMITLESS SOFTWARE, Inc: Jim Showalter, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ****
*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects*