From: weyrich!orville@uunet.uu.net  (Orville R. Weyrich)
Subject: Re: Is CM important? (was: Use pragma I
Date: 17 Jul 91 16:08:17 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <20600112@inmet> bwhite@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>On Jul  8, 1991, mattel@auto-trol.com writes in response to Showalter's
>bleatings that we should drop calculus, algebra, FORTRAN and Ada from the

[lots of stuff deleted]

An excellent case is made for the importance of algebra and combinatorics.

>    o Most calculus books and courses spend most time with the relatively
>      uninteresting notions of derivatives and integrals.  While these are
>      useful in physics and engineering, where things are continuous, they
>      are of less value to the kind of discrete systems we use.  However,
>      calculus is the only place people see the definitions of limit and
>      continuity, which definitions are very important.  Continuity is
>      important if you want fixed points.

How many quarters does it take to teach the concepts of limit and continuity?
A school I used to teach at required 3 or 4 quarters of calculus for its
CS majors. I argued in vain that one quarter of that calculus would be well
replaced by a quarter of symbolic logic (Philosophy 110).

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)