* Re: Theft of valid program namespace!
@ 1991-07-12 11:51 swrinde!sdd.hp.com!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!aplcen!ddsdx2.jhuapl.edu!dlc
From: swrinde!sdd.hp.com!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!aplcen!ddsdx2.jhuapl.edu!dlc @ 1991-07-12 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <1991Jul12.172704.10258@phillip.edu.au> x01233@phillip.edu.au writes:

>Under Vax ada I am not allowed to create an executable from a  procedure
>named TT as it clashes with something Dec have allocated.

Yes, you are.  You just have to be a little careful on the command line:

$ ty tt.ada
procedure tt is begin null; end;
$ ada tt.ada
$ acs link tt
%ACS-I-CL_LINKING, Invoking the VMS Linker for VAX_VMS target
$ run tt.exe
$

See?  No problem, but:
$
$ ada tt

 Interrupt

This hung.  You cant compile the terminal.  You have a logical name "TT" which
points to your terminal.  Do "Sho log tt".
$
$ run tt

%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image TT
-CLI-E-IMGNAME, image file RT

Same thing happened here...
"It should be obvious that brewers have done far more
for human happiness than all of the vegetarian, tree-
hugging and bicycle-mounted moralists."
    --A. E. Housman
D. L. Collard
collard@capsrv.jhuapl.edu

* Re: Theft of valid program namespace!
@ 1991-07-12 19:09 bevi n brett
From: bevi n brett @ 1991-07-12 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Jul12.172704.10258@phillip.edu.au>, x01233@phillip.edu.au write
s...

>Under Vax ada I am not allowed to create an executable from a  procedure
>named TT as it clashes with something Dec have allocated.
>
>What is the LRM's attitude to this? Are companies allowed to 'steal' parts of
>an Ada namespace when there is a clash?
>
>Dale.

Dale, you are clearly a novice VMS user.  This has *nothing* to do with VAX
Ada, and everything to do with VAX/VMS.

TT is a logical name defined by the system, to be [for historical RSX
compatibility], the terminal you are logged in on.

$ ACS LINK TT creates SYS$DISK:[]TT.EXE, and does so without any problems.

$ RUN TT tries to run the terminal, giving
%E, error opening TT:[BRETT.EG]*.*;* as input
%F, device is not file structured

It is clear from this error message that you tried to run TT:, rather than
SYS$DISK:[[]TT.EXE

$ RUN TT.EXE
will have the effect that you want.

VMS, unlike most other operating systems, has very detailed and explicit error
messages.  It is a shame that we have never managed to persuade people to read
them.

/Bevin

DIGITAL Ada project

* Theft of valid program namespace!
@ 1991-07-12 22:27 munnari.oz.au!ariel!ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au!phillip.edu.au!x01233
From: munnari.oz.au!ariel!ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au!phillip.edu.au!x01233 @ 1991-07-12 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I have another question -

Under Vax ada I am not allowed to create an executable from a  procedure
named TT as it clashes with something Dec have allocated.

What is the LRM's attitude to this? Are companies allowed to 'steal' parts of
an Ada namespace when there is a clash?

Thanks...

Dale.

Dale Stanbrough			|