* Support for INheritance
@ 1991-01-09 23:19 Mike Miller
From: Mike Miller @ 1991-01-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've seen some things about the Ada 9X project, but don't know
what it is doing.  Is it defining extensions to the language?
IN particular, I am interested in the probablility of Ada
supporting inheritance (ala C++) in the future.

-Thanks

* Re: Support for INheritance
       [not found] <231931@<1991Jan9>
@ 1991-01-13 19:04 ` stt
From: stt @ 1991-01-13 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Re: Note written 6:19 pm Jan 9, 1991 by mmiller@aconcagua.src.honeywell.com
> /* ---------- "Support for INheritance" ---------- */
> I've seen some things about the Ada 9X project, but don't know
> what it is doing.  Is it defining extensions to the language?
> IN particular, I am interested in the probablility of Ada
> supporting inheritance (ala C++) in the future.

There is a public requirements document for Ada 9X.  This
document suggests that the revised language should support
programming by specialization/generalization.
This is generally interpreted as being equivalent to
inheritance and polymorphism ala C++.

There will be a public release of the first draft
of actual language change proposals within the
next few months, so stay tuned...

S. Tucker Taft
Ada 9X Mapping/Revision Team
Intermetrics, Inc.