* free ADA compiler
@ 1990-12-22 17:54 leisner.wbst139
From: leisner.wbst139 @ 1990-12-22 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a good, free ADA compiler floating around?

I've used gcc on suns and am very impressed.

There's good descriptions for most machines in gcc that run Unix.

I don't know what technical problems have to be solved to host an ADA compiler
onto a Unix host with FSF machine descriptions.  Is anyone working on these
issues?

Also certification is another issue.

marty
(I'm really in Henrietta, not Webster, but the Xerox mail system doesn't
believe in people moving)
ARPA:	leisner.wbst139@xerox.com
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:	hplabs!arisia!leisner

* Re: free ADA compilerREFRESH
@ 1991-01-06 18:52 ` waltrip
From: waltrip @ 1991-01-06 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <"22-Dec-90.12:54:14.EST".*.Martin_A_Leisner.wbst139@Xerox.com>, leisner.wbst139@XEROX.COM writes:

> Is there a good, free ADA compiler floating around?
>
> I've used gcc on suns and am very impressed.

	[...material deleted from original posting...]

	I suppose one way the government might promote the use of Ada would
	be by sponsoring the development of a free, easily-ported compiler
	similar to gcc (which also happens to set a quality standard for C
	compilers).  Other languages have free compilers/translators/inter-
	preters available (including a Modula-3 to C translator which looks
	mighty interesting).  Ada has sufficient merit to hold its own in
	the battle for the hearts and minds of programmers if they can just
	afford it.  The government has provided some stimulus by providing a
	market for Ada-based software.  Given the probable outlook for DoD
	funding, however, this is a stimulus whose future would have to be
	considered uncertain at best.  A free compiler might be worth
	considering.

c.f.waltrip

DDN:  waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu

Opinions expressed are my own.

* Re: free ADA compiler
@ 1991-01-11 17:01   ` madmats
From: madmats @ 1991-01-11 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Jan6.135259.1@capd.jhuapl.edu>, waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu writes:
>       A free compiler might be worth
> 	considering.

I can only say that I fully agree, especially if an aproach like
the one taken for gcc is followed.

Mats