* Re: New user and dumb questions ....
@ 1991-08-16 18:01 Brian Hanafee
From: Brian Hanafee @ 1991-08-16 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, there is not a FAQ for this newsgroup.  There are, however, two
ftp sites which may be of interest.  The first is ajpo.sei.cmu.edu,
which is the Ada Joint Program Office, Software Engineering Institute,
Carnegie-Mellon University.  (Actually, I have heard that CMU is not
directly affiliated with SEI, but they are close.  Maybe somebody else
could clarify this.)  That site has the Ada LRM as well as lots of
other interesting Ada info.  The second is wsmr-simtel20.army.mil,
which is the Ada Software Repository, kept at White Sands Missile
Range (I don't know why).  This site is a pain to use (TOPS20), but it
has a very large selection of PD Ada programs and components.  You
might also send a request to Ada-SW-Request@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil to
get on the Ada-SW digest mailing list.  The contents of this list are
different from this newsgroup.  Finally, you should call the Ada
Information Clearinghouse to get on their mailing list.  This last
mailing list is real, US Postal mail.  Their number is 1-800-Ada-ic11.
Ask for their Ada information packet and a subscription to their
newsletter.  Both are free.

No, there are no PD/Shareware Ada compilers.  There are one or two
which implement "Pascal subsets" of Ada.  None are intended for
anything other than educational uses.  The cheapest way to get a fully
functional, validated Ada compiler is through Meridian Software
Systems.  They offer Ada compilers for both MS-DOS and MacOs.  The
last I heard, the educational price for them was $149 each.
1-800-221-2522.  You can get a list of all validated Ada compilers
from the ajpo.sei.cmu.edu ftp site.

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with any of the above organizations
except as a user or customer.  I speak only for myself and, in
particular, I do not speak for my employer.
--
Brian Hanafee                         Advanced Decision Systems
bhanafee@ads.com                      1500 Plymouth Street

* Re: New user and dumb questions ....
@ 1991-08-16 20:05 Mario Barbacci
From: Mario Barbacci @ 1991-08-16 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BHANAFEE.91Aug16110140@deimos.ads.com>, bhanafee@deimos.ads.com (Br
ian Hanafee) writes:
|> which is the Ada Joint Program Office, Software Engineering Institute,
|> Carnegie-Mellon University.  (Actually, I have heard that CMU is not
|> directly affiliated with SEI, but they are close.  Maybe somebody else
|> could clarify this.) .......

Th SEI is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC)
sponsored by the Department of Defense. The SEI is also an Institute
of Carnegie mellon University (Institutes are R&D, non-teaching
components of CMU).  Members of the SEI are employees of CMU.  People
who come to the SEI from other departments on campus have no problem
with this.  People hired from outside are sometimes confused (all they
have to do is read their paychecks.)

Mario R. Barbacci,
internet: mrb@sei.cmu.edu		uunet: ...!harvard!sei.cmu.edu!mrb
Software Engineering Institute, CMU, Pittsburgh PA 15213, (412) 268-7704

* Re: New user and dumb questions ....
@ 1991-08-18  1:05 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!so
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!so @ 1991-08-18  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

an Hanafee) writes:

>. . .  There are, however, two
>ftp sites which may be of interest.  The first is ajpo.sei.cmu.edu,
>which is the Ada Joint Program Office, Software Engineering Institute,
>Carnegie-Mellon University.  (Actually, I have heard that CMU is not
>directly affiliated with SEI, but they are close.  Maybe somebody else
>could clarify this.)  That site has the Ada LRM as well as lots of
>other interesting Ada info.  The second is wsmr-simtel20.army.mil,
>which is the Ada Software Repository, kept at White Sands Missile
>Range (I don't know why).  This site is a pain to use (TOPS20), but it
>has a very large selection of PD Ada programs and components. . .

The ftp site at wuarchive.wustl.edu carries most (all?) of the stuff
that is on simtel20, but is easier to access, and has faster file
transfer rates.  See the mirror2 and mirror directories.  Some
complete directories can be transfered with a single command; see the
readme files on the system for more information.
--
Ralph.  N6BNO.
Compuserve - 72250.3521@compuserve.com.  Phone 1-916-345-9155.

* Re: New user and dumb questions ....
@ 1991-08-19 12:01 dog.ee.lbl.gov!hellgate.utah.edu!caen!sdd.hp.com!news.cs.indiana.edu!ucen
From: dog.ee.lbl.gov!hellgate.utah.edu!caen!sdd.hp.com!news.cs.indiana.edu!ucen @ 1991-08-19 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1991Aug18.010539.11489@ecst.csuchico.edu> rreid@ecst.csuchico.edu (
Ralph Reid III) writes:
>In article <BHANAFEE.91Aug16110140@deimos.ads.com> bhanafee@deimos.ads.com (Br
ian Hanafee) writes:

>>. . .  There are, however, two
>>ftp sites which may be of interest.  The first is ajpo.sei.cmu.edu,
>>which is the Ada Joint Program Office, Software Engineering Institute,
>>Carnegie-Mellon University.  (Actually, I have heard that CMU is not
>>directly affiliated with SEI, but they are close.  Maybe somebody else
>>could clarify this.)  That site has the Ada LRM as well as lots of
>>other interesting Ada info.  The second is wsmr-simtel20.army.mil,
>>which is the Ada Software Repository, kept at White Sands Missile
>>Range (I don't know why).  This site is a pain to use (TOPS20), but it
>>has a very large selection of PD Ada programs and components. . .
>
>The ftp site at wuarchive.wustl.edu carries most (all?) of the stuff
>that is on simtel20, but is easier to access, and has faster file
>transfer rates.  See the mirror2 and mirror directories.  Some
>complete directories can be transfered with a single command; see the
>readme files on the system for more information.
>--
>Ralph.  N6BNO.
>Compuserve - 72250.3521@compuserve.com.  Phone 1-916-345-9155.
>lectromail- rreid@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu.
>I do not waste time expressing others' opinions!

I'm glad Ralph mentioned the wuarchive site.  FYI, it is updated automatically
as changed are made to the Ada Software Repository on SIMTEL20.  The new
ASR User's Handbook includes some documentation on wuarchive.

Rick Conn, ASR Manager