* Re: Access multiple libraries on Vax with Ada
@ 1991-08-16 15:57 Fred Stluka
From: Fred Stluka @ 1991-08-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1187@wrdis01.af.mil> cfranz@wrdis01.af.mil (Claus Franzkowiak) writ
es:
> Does someone know how to access a foreign Ada library on the Vax?
> I have withed 15 packages in a file.ada which are NOT in my [user.adalib].
> I tried the "entry foreign" ACS command for one package, but it didn't work.
> I would appreciate if someone helps me with this problem.

The word "foreign" in the ACS ENTER FOREIGN command in VAX Ada
means "non-Ada".  That command can be used to enter object modules
genrated by other compilers into an Ada library.  It can also be
used to enter shareable images, linker option files, and object
module libraries, into an Ada library.  A very useful command, but
not the one you are looking for.

To "with" Ada modules from another Ada library, you have 3 choices:

     ACS ENTER UNIT

          Make a unit in another library visible to this library.

     ACS CREATE SUBLIBRARY

          Makes the entire contents of another library visible to
          this library, by making this library a sublibrary of the
          other library.  Restriction: Each library can have only
          one parent.  Not intended for general shared access; but
          rather as a mechanism for creating a subordinate library
          in which you modify and test units from the parent library
          before promoting them back into the parent for general
          use.

     ACS SET LIBRARY /PATH    [New as of Ada 2.2, VMS 5.4]

          Makes a list of other libraries visible to the current
          library.

--Fred
--
Fred Stluka                               Internet: stluka@software.org
Software Productivity Consortium          UUNet:    ...!uunet!software!stluka

only message in thread, other threads:[~1991-08-16 15:57 UTC | newest]