* RE:  Ada/C++ Study
@ 1991-08-16 12:16 cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!so
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!so @ 1991-08-16 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Audrey Hook, IDA, asked that I post the following to this newsgroup.  Bill.]

Now that I have a copy of Mr. Mosemann's press release, the
reason for critical comments on the IDA portion of the study is apparent.
Some context information was lost to gain brevity in the press release.
The following should clarify:

>A.   Tools, Environments, and Training: IDA Substudy.

>     Both languages are supported on PCs and workstations.  Ada
>is also supported on mainframes.  Ada, but not C++, has cross
>compilation systems.

o Mainframes:
Ada compilers are available for mainframes generally used for business
applications (i.e. IBM-IBM-compatible) - C++ is available for multi-user
computers generally used for engineering applications (e.g.DEC,
H-P, Apollo, Alliant).  All vendors (in our sample) offering C++ products had
versions for PC's: only two had versions for multi-user computers
(as of April): none had versions for IBM mainframes.

o Cross-compilers:
Early-on, we thought this might be a characteristic for comparison.
It was dropped because it turned out to be an "uncontrolled" variable.
(i.e. lack of facts vs theoretical possibilities).

There are Ada and C++ "cross-compilers" for different models of processors
having compatible ISAs and OS versions : Ada compilers targeting
different ISA's and OS (e.g. DEC=>Motorola board series, DEC=>InmosTransputer,
Rational=>HP) have been certified by third party testing: we found no
evidence that C++ products are comparable. Also, DoD is not the only market
for "cross-compilers" of the Ada examples.

>Code generators exist for Ada but none so far for C++.

The context of "code generators" is a set of integrated tools offered as
CASE products.  While some CASE vendors said they planned to
support C++, in April 1991 they didn't.

Audrey Hook

only message in thread, other threads:[~1991-08-16 12:16 UTC | newest]