From: convex!pelakh@uunet.uu.net  (Boris Pelakh)
Subject: Re: Ada in a C++ Interview
Date: 7 Aug 91 12:54:20 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1991Aug7.121826.20660@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lijewski@theory.T
C.Cornell.EDU (Mike Lijewski) writes:
> ....  My experience is that well vectorized code is both more
>efficient and maintainable, even on scalar machines.  So the question is,
>are there any Ada compilers which produce highly vectorized code, on say
>Crays, IBM 3090s or any of the other vector machines?

pragma BEGIN_COMPANY_SPEAK;

The Convex Ada compiler will produce vector code that is alsmost as good
as the one produced by our FORTRAN compiler. The main problem with
vectorizing Ada code is the fact that the exception handling mechanism
produces more branching possibilities within loops, thus inhibiting
optimization. BTW, we also parallelize our programs either by spreading
tasks across processors or parallelizing on the loop level.

pragma END_COMPANY_SPEAK;

I feel like a sales critter. *Cold Chill*

--

Boris Pelakh			"With a tough and smart lawyer, you can get
Development Software Test	 two to three times the cash and benefits you