From: larryc@puente.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll)
Subject: Re: Ada text for CS2 course
Date: 11 Apr 91 23:14:25 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <5253@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bonak@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Esmail Bonakdarian) writes:
>I am looking at a possible replacement for our current Ada text in use
>for the CS2 class I teach.

I suggest Norman Cohen's _Ada as a Second Languange_ (despite the title's
presumption of prior experience).  It IS long, but the length is because of
very clear discussions of sometimes difficult topics, and lots of good
examples--I consider examples absolutely essential.  Also, I suggest using half
of the text for one course, and the remainder for a second course. (I think
it's a mistake to try to teach all of Ada in a single course.)

Each chapter has an excellent summary at the end, also good questions and
exercises.  Many of the chapters have sections that are optional, making it
easier for teachers to skip material they consider too detailed or advanced.