From: mciver@kalkan.colorado.edu (William McIver Jr.)
Subject: Re: Non line-buffered input
Date: 14 Dec 90 00:46:53 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1115@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk> jason@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Mr.J.P.Kitchen) writes:
>Arne - I lost your Email address - but I'm posting here because it should
>have more general interest.
>

>>> Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
>>>
>>> Text_io is line buffered. The only way around this is to write your own
>>> single character I/O routines in another language (e.g. 'C') and pragma
>>> interface it to your Ada programs.
>>>

>>That sounds like a practicable solution.  The problem is, I don't know
>>anything about pragma.  Could you possibly tell me how touse it ??
>

>It depends on what system you're using and (unfortunately) which Ada compiler.
>On our system which is running under UNIX version xxx and using the York Ada
>Compiler, a sample program may be as follows:-

[stuff deleted]

>--Jason

FYI: For those using DEC Ada, it is not necessary to write such
     a routine in another language.  One can use the VAX/VMS
     System Services Package which has the QIO & QIOW routines
     in an Ada Package interface.

     I've done this before, unfortunately the source is not
     immediately available.  It is not difficult though.

WJM

William J. McIver, Jr.          mciver@tigger.colorado.edu
Department of Computer Science, University of Colorado @ Boulder