From: hirchert@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert)
Subject: Re: Recent CACM "viewpoint" article
Date: 11 Apr 90 19:03:24 GMT	[thread overview]

In fairness to Bailey, I would note

o Saying that some people have found the results of automatic translation
  to be acceptable is quite different from saying the automatic translation
  of Fortran programs is good enough to impose on the entire Fortran
  community.

o Citing services such as Lexeme's ignores the fact that the use of their
  service is not economically realistic for much of the Fortran community.

o Automatically translated programs won't necessarily produce an acceptable
  level of performance.  (Fortran's inbuilt restictions to allow high
  performance are hard to mimic in a language which doesn't have them.
  Certainly an Ada processor could have pragmas to assert similar
  restrictions, but I am not aware of any that have such pragmas today.)

I'm not saying you shouldn't respond to Bailey's comments, but try to avoid
looking like language bigots or reactionaries.
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu