From: mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com>
Subject: In case you need to remember...
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:20:52 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-04-06T08:20:52-07:00	[thread overview]

...how nice is having tasks built-in in your preferred language, I just landed over this text (Threads — Threat or Menace?)

   http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch07s03.html#id2923889

Just an excerpt:

  "Threads are a fertile source of bugs because they can too easily know too much about each others' internal states. There is no automatic encapsulation, as there would be between processes with separate address spaces that must do explicit IPC to communicate. Thus, threaded programs suffer from not just ordinary contention problems, but from entire new categories of timing-dependent bugs that are excruciatingly difficult to even reproduce, let alone fix."

Hmm... Why do I have this warm and cozy feeling? :-)

BTW, a curiosity: does the Linux version of GNAT use threads to implement tasks?

Riccardo