From: andy@toolshed.com (Andrew Hunt)
Subject: Re: With the Real Engineers please stand up.
Date: 1998/01/06
Date: 1998-01-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 06 Jan 1998 15:22:26 GMT, Trevor Longbow <xmobay@thegrid.net> wrote:
> QUESTION 1.
>
> I remember some study that identified this: that engineering outfits
> typically operate at one of a set number of--I think it was 5 or
> 6--levels of optimum culture. I don't remember the terminology. As I
>
> Does anyone know what it is I'm talking about--the study, the term,
> the book?

I believe you are referring to the Capability Maturity Model (CMM), check
out www.sei.cmu.edu, the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon.

> 4.  After the group reviews of all the demos we've seen, we should
> then and only then make a decision and purchase a case tool.

The vendor will, of course, report a perfect fit in all
cases.  I think the emphasis should be on design skills, not
case tools.  Concentrate on good design at the whiteboard
(maybe even one of the magic printing whiteboards), after
you and your team have done that for a while you will be better
able to determine your needs in a case tool.

/\ndy

(remove the nospam to reply)

| Andrew Hunt                   |        Object Oriented          |
| Toolshed Technologies, Inc.   | Software Design and Development |