From: karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg)
Subject: CORRECTION re: STARS Foundations
Date: 23 Mar 90 13:52:35 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <8467@hubcap.clemson.edu> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) writes:

>  Inquiries concerning the STARS Foundations Repository, which
>  contains the (free) research and development products of the
>  STARS (Software Technology for Adaptable, Reliable Systems)
>  program, can be e-mailed to:

FREE here does not necessarily mean "without cost".  Each of the components
in the repository can be had for $50 each duplicating costs, with a maximum
of $2000.  It is also not clear (to me) what the data rights on this
software are either.  It may be government owned, (and I didn't have to sign
any licensing forms to get it) but the one component that I ordered contains
a lot of copyright notices.  It also appears that one or more of the
original contractors are marketing "commercial" versions of their
developments (e.g., the X Windows binding, Universal File Names, etc.)

-- Karl --