From: munck@STARS.RESTON.UNISYS.COM (Bob Munck)
Subject: Re: Ada Programming Support Environments (APSEs).
Date: 3 Apr 91 16:08:10 GMT	[thread overview]

In his message of 01 Apr 91 21:19:50 +0000. <jls.670540790@rutabaga>,
  igor!rutabaga!jls@uunet.uu.net (Jim Showalter) says:

> We offer an integrated development environment for Ada that includes
> interactive syntactic and semantic assistance within the editor, a
> high-level object-oriented library management system, a CM system
> fully-integrated with the compilation and library systems, full symbolic
> debugger, host/target integration tools ranging from cross-compilers
> to remote compiler integration, code analysis tools, various programmatic
> tools for accessing environment information, front-end integration with
> TeamWORK and Interleaf, interactive hyper-text traceability among
> requirements, code, PDL, and documents, etc etc etc.

The DARPA STARS program is working toward a full SEE, covering all of the
activities of a project and the full life-cycle of its products.  We hope
to have compatible commercial products -- built to support the same set of
recognized standards -- from each of three relatively well-known vendors
(IBM, DEC, Unisys).  All of the modern buzzwords such as "open architecture"
and "domain-specific reuse process model" apply.

However, don't hold your breath.  The one buzz-phrase we don't yet use in
STARS is "real soon now."

Bob Munck --  speaking for himself