From: scallassig@mailexpire.com (Harald Korneliussen)
Subject: Re: Ada compiler not installed on this system
Date: 26 Mar 2004 00:07:04 -0800
Date: 2004-03-26T00:07:04-08:00	[thread overview]

Zouplaz <pouet@pouet.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94B6AF58127B3Zoupla@212.27.42.69>...
> Hello, I would like to learn ada programming (on a linux system).
>
> I've recently upgraded gcc from 2.96 to 3.3.3 (compiled from source to
> avoid rpm dependancy nightmares)
Are you on Suse, Redhat, Conectiva, Mandrake or something else? Having
installed GNAT from source on a redhat system, I can say that was a
lot more difficult than just typing "urpmi gnat" in my current
mandrake system :-)

If there are gnat packages for your distro, I really, really suggest
you use them. Compiling from source doesn't solve dependency
nightmares, it creates them: if you try to install an ada program from
an RPM package now (not that I know of any...sigh) you _will_ get
complaints about missing gnat packages.