* Language Naming Contest
@ 1990-02-09 14:05 Ted Holden
From: Ted Holden @ 1990-02-09 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

A number of people where I work feel that a naming contest is in order
for the next, presumably object oriented version of the Ada programming
language.  The name "Add 1 to Cobol" has been proposed for the OO
version of Cobol, which will presumably be out and in use long before
the new Ada version, and it strikes me as a kind of a shame for
anything, much less the new, modern, foreward-looking answer to all of
mankind's computing needs, to be thus outdone by the second oldest
language out there.

While the name "Ada-9x" is understandable in a way ("Watch the
government spend 9 times as much time and money and take nine times as
long for everything they ever do while the rest of the world
standardizes on C and C++"), I feel that Ada Lovelace, whore though ever
she might have been, never really did anything to deserve having a
government programming language named after her.

I would suggest that, if a proper name is still wanted for the language,
that the name be chosen as that of some person or organization most
notable for swindling his/her/its government;  since the names "Wang"
and "Unisys" are already taken, I would suggest the name "Potempkin".
Any other ideas?

Ted Holden
HTE

* Ted Holden Name-Calling Contest (was Language Naming Contest)
@ 1990-02-09 14:58 ` Karl Nyberg
From: Karl Nyberg @ 1990-02-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19359@grebyn.com> ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:
>A number of people where I work feel that a naming contest is in order
>for the next, presumably object oriented version of the Ada programming
>language.

You know Ted, that's something people have been asking me lately.  Where
do you work?  Even more, DO you work?  Why do you have such a negative
attitude toward Ada?  Even to the point of ad hominem attacks aimed at
many of the folks involved in the effort.

Your arguments lack substance; your diatribes appear to be that of a
child upset for being told to eat his vegetables; your demeanor is that
of one appearing to want attention by making outlandish statements.

What is your problem?  Did you lose a government contract?  Oh, but you
must not work for the government - certainly one with such a negative
view of the governments ability must not accept any money from one held
in such lowly esteem.

We all enjoy listening to you.  It's fun to see how humorous humanity can
be...

-- Karl --