* Ubuntu 14.04 - gnat downloaded from libre.adacore vs apt-get
@ 2015-01-05 23:18 RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2015-01-05 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

all

i had to reimage my Ubuntu system to 14.04. I got gnat installed successfully.

gnatmake --version

reports 4.6

I would like to install the ARM version of gnat. When I install the version I download from the libre.Adacore site, The executables such as gps_exe do not "run". The shell says "No such file or directory". Even though the PATH variable is updated correctly and which gps_exe correctly identifies the executable correctly.

I suspect some ld conflict.

Can I install gps through the Ubuntu standard software install mechanism?
Can I install the ARM version of gnat through the Ubuntu standard software install mechanism?
Can I have the ARM cross and the Linux versions running in parallel?

any pointers would be appreciated.

thanks, srini

* Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - gnat downloaded from libre.adacore vs apt-get
@ 2015-01-06 10:23 ` M. Strobel
From: M. Strobel @ 2015-01-06 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06.01.2015 00:18, RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com wrote:
> all
>
> i had to reimage my Ubuntu system to 14.04. I got gnat installed successfully.
>
> gnatmake --version
>
> reports 4.6
>
> I would like to install the ARM version of gnat. When I install the version
> I download from the libre.Adacore site, The executables such as gps_exe do not "run".
 > The shell says "No such file or directory". Even though the PATH variable is
updated correctly
 > and which gps_exe correctly identifies the executable correctly.

Just a comment to this point "no such file or directory" while the file is there:

this is tipical for an executable with wrong architecture. This would happen for
example with a 32 bit binary executed on a 64 bit system without the compatible
32bit libs installed.

I don't know if this also happens with a ARM executable on intel/amd cpus.

/Str.

* Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - gnat downloaded from libre.adacore vs apt-get
@ 2015-01-06 15:15   ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2015-01-06 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > i had to reimage my Ubuntu system to 14.04. I got gnat installed successfully.
> >
> > gnatmake --version
> >
> > reports 4.6
> >
> > I would like to install the ARM version of gnat. When I install the version
> > I download from the libre.Adacore site, The executables such as gps_exe do not "run".
>  > The shell says "No such file or directory". Even though the PATH variable is
> updated correctly
>  > and which gps_exe correctly identifies the executable correctly.
>
> Just a comment to this point "no such file or directory" while the file is there:
>
> this is tipical for an executable with wrong architecture. This would happen for
> example with a 32 bit binary executed on a 64 bit system without the compatible
> 32bit libs installed.
>
> I don't know if this also happens with a ARM executable on intel/amd cpus.
>
> /Str.

You probably can't get the AdaCore GNAT software to install using the standard
Ubuntu procedure (apt-get and such).  See my detailed installation instructions
from the post to this web site on about Oct. 17.

Bruce B.

* Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - gnat downloaded from libre.adacore vs apt-get
@ 2015-01-06 15:20     ` brbarkstrom
From: brbarkstrom @ 2015-01-06 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> from the post to this web site on about Oct. 17.
>
> Bruce B.

Oops - should be Oct. 19 (10/19/2014).

Bruce B.

* Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - gnat downloaded from libre.adacore vs apt-get
@ 2015-01-06 18:40 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2015-01-06 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

RasikaSrinivasan writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Can I install gps through the Ubuntu standard software install
> mechanism?

Yes: aptitude install gnat-gps.

> Can I install the ARM version of gnat through the Ubuntu standard
> software install mechanism?

No.  No Ada cross-ucompiler for ARM has been packaged for Debian yet,
therefore not for derivatives like Ubuntu either.

> Can I have the ARM cross and the Linux versions running in parallel?

Yes.  For this you must install the Ada cross-compiler from AdaCore, in
parallel to the native gnat-4.6 compiler from Ubuntu.  You can use the
gnat-gps IDE from Ubuntu and configure it to invoke the arm
cross-compiler from AdaCore.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - gnat downloaded from libre.adacore vs apt-get
@ 2015-01-06 19:46 ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2015-01-06 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com" <RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com> wrote:
> all
>
> i had to reimage my Ubuntu system to 14.04. I got gnat installed successfully.
>
> gnatmake --version
>
> reports 4.6
>
> I would like to install the ARM version of gnat.

Is this a cross compiler?

If so, do you see anything suspicious in the
output of ldd run on the compiler executables?

* Re: Ubuntu 14.04 - gnat downloaded from libre.adacore vs apt-get
@ 2015-01-07  1:47   ` RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2015-01-07  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a bunch. I got gps going. appreciate the hints.

Now. onto the ARM ...

cheers, srini