* Ada, XML and M$ Patents
@ 2004-01-24 11:12 Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-01-24 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yet another brain-dead patent that is only to hinder progress

   http://news.com.com/2100-1013_3-5146581.html?tag=nefd_top

--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."

* Re: Ada, XML and M$ Patents
@ 2004-01-24 11:13 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2004-01-24 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2004-01-24, Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:
> Yet another brain-dead patent that is only to hinder progress
>
>    http://news.com.com/2100-1013_3-5146581.html?tag=nefd_top

Oops hit send before I finished.

What I wanted to say was that I bet that soon there will be a patent on
making GUI via XML schemas etc...

--

@ 2004-01-24 15:24   ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2004-01-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnc14kq6.r0.randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@k-083152.nt.ntnu.no>...
> On 2004-01-24, Preben Randhol <randhol+valid_for_reply_from_news@pvv.org> wrote:
> > Yet another brain-dead patent that is only to hinder progress
> >
> >    http://news.com.com/2100-1013_3-5146581.html?tag=nefd_top
> >

> Oops hit send before I finished.
>
> What I wanted to say was that I bet that soon there will be a patent on
> making GUI via XML schemas etc...

Lets hope not. This is, however, par for the course at Microsoft. Its
a filing for a patent in New Zealand and Europe we can always hope
that those patent offices are less braindead then the one in the US.

 On a side note, patent the concept of gui generation via an XML
descriptor would be a hard one to enforce I think. There have been
open source projects directed at this almost since the avent of xml. I
wouldn't doubt there there are more then a few earlier projects that
targeted sgml instead of xml. It could also probably be argued that
HTML itself is prior art.