* Build gcc-ada on/for Solaris x86_64?
@ 2009-03-27 13:22 invalid
From: invalid @ 2009-03-27 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would like to be able to use gcc ada on my Solaris 10 Intel box. I
did some preliminary checking and it doesn't look like a trivial
undertaking.

I'm wondering if any of the participants in comp.lang.ada have done
this or anything similar.

I have gcc 3.4.x running on the Solaris box from Sun's Companion CD but
it was not built with Ada support.

I have 64 and 32 bit Linux boxes both running gcc 4.2.4 with
Ada. Maybe it's simple (!) to build a cross target from this system?

I read somewhere that the gcc ada version isn't necessarily the same
as the gcc version. Is there a reason why I can't use 4.2.4 Ada on a
gcc 3.4 base. Is gccada at the 3.4 level worth having?

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

Wolf

* Re: Build gcc-ada on/for Solaris x86_64?
@ 2009-03-27 15:06 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-03-27 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 27, 2:22 pm, inva...@domain.invalid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to use gcc ada on my Solaris 10 Intel box. I
> did some preliminary checking and it doesn't look like a trivial
> undertaking.
>
> I'm wondering if any of the participants in comp.lang.ada have done
> this or anything similar.
>
> I have gcc 3.4.x running on the Solaris box from Sun's Companion CD but
> it was not built with Ada support.
>
> I have 64 and 32 bit Linux boxes both running gcc 4.2.4 with
> Ada. Maybe it's simple (!) to build a cross target from this system?
>
> I read somewhere that the gcc ada version isn't necessarily the same
> as the gcc version. Is there a reason why I can't use 4.2.4 Ada on a
> gcc 3.4 base. Is gccada at the 3.4 level worth having?
>
> Any comments/suggestions?

I suggest you install the package gcc3ada from www.blastwave.org; this
is GCC 3.4.5 with Ada enabled. If you would like a more recent
version, use gcc3ada to compile GCC 4.3.3 with Ada. It would be nice
if you would then contribute your packages back to blastwave.

PS. I recommend against package gcc4ada (GCC 4.0.2) because of bugs
resulting from the introduction of Tree-SSA in GCC 4.0 (i.e. impedance
mismatches between the Ada front-end and the GCC 4.0 back-end).

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Build gcc-ada on/for Solaris x86_64?
@ 2009-03-30 12:49   ` abyhoe
From: abyhoe @ 2009-03-30 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 27, 11:06 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org>
wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2:22 pm, inva...@domain.invalid wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I would like to be able to use gcc ada on my Solaris 10 Intel box. I
> > did some preliminary checking and it doesn't look like a trivial
> > undertaking.
>
> > I'm wondering if any of the participants in comp.lang.ada have done
> > this or anything similar.
>
> > I have gcc 3.4.x running on the Solaris box from Sun's Companion CD but
> > it was not built with Ada support.
>
> > I have 64 and 32 bit Linux boxes both running gcc 4.2.4 with
> > Ada. Maybe it's simple (!) to build a cross target from this system?
>
> > I read somewhere that the gcc ada version isn't necessarily the same
> > as the gcc version. Is there a reason why I can't use 4.2.4 Ada on a
> > gcc 3.4 base. Is gccada at the 3.4 level worth having?
>
> > Any comments/suggestions?
>
> I suggest you install the package gcc3ada fromwww.blastwave.org;this
> is GCC 3.4.5 with Ada enabled. If you would like a more recent
> version, use gcc3ada to compile GCC 4.3.3 with Ada. It would be nice
> if you would then contribute your packages back to blastwave.
>
> PS. I recommend against package gcc4ada (GCC 4.0.2) because of bugs
> resulting from the introduction of Tree-SSA in GCC 4.0 (i.e. impedance
> mismatches between the Ada front-end and the GCC 4.0 back-end).
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Where can I download the source? Thanks.

* Re: Build gcc-ada on/for Solaris x86_64?
@ 2009-03-30 14:16     ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-03-30 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 30, 2:49 pm, abyhoe wrote:
> On Mar 27, 11:06 pm, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > I suggest you install the package gcc3ada fromwww.blastwave.org;this
> > is GCC 3.4.5 with Ada enabled. If you would like a more recent
> > version, use gcc3ada to compile GCC 4.3.3 with Ada. It would be nice
> > if you would then contribute your packages back to blastwave.
>
> > PS. I recommend against package gcc4ada (GCC 4.0.2) because of bugs
> > resulting from the introduction of Tree-SSA in GCC 4.0 (i.e. impedance
> > mismatches between the Ada front-end and the GCC 4.0 back-end).
>
> Where can I download the source? Thanks.

Blastwave has links for the sources for each package so I don't really
understand why you are having trouble? Have you actually browsed their
web site?

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Build gcc-ada on/for Solaris x86_64?
@ 2009-03-30 23:46       ` abyhoe
From: abyhoe @ 2009-03-30 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 30, 10:16 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org>
wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2:49 pm, abyhoe wrote:
>
> > On Mar 27, 11:06 pm, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > > I suggest you install the package gcc3ada fromwww.blastwave.org;this
> > > is GCC 3.4.5 with Ada enabled. If you would like a more recent
> > > version, use gcc3ada to compile GCC 4.3.3 with Ada. It would be nice
> > > if you would then contribute your packages back to blastwave.
>
> > > PS. I recommend against package gcc4ada (GCC 4.0.2) because of bugs
> > > resulting from the introduction of Tree-SSA in GCC 4.0 (i.e. impedance
> > > mismatches between the Ada front-end and the GCC 4.0 back-end).
>
> > Where can I download the source? Thanks.
>
> Blastwave has links for the sources for each package so I don't really
> understand why you are having trouble? Have you actually browsed their
> web site?
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

No, I didn't find it on blastwave site. It's hard to navigate. I found
it on softpedia.com.
--
Adrian Hoe