From: psinntp!witch!mlb!mbayern@uunet.uu.net  (Mark Bayern)
Subject: Re: Free Hawaii trip if you buy my Ada products
Date: 20 Aug 93 07:03:41 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <CC0Bo8.MLE@inmet.camb.inmet.com>, Mike Ryer (ryer@dsd.camb.inmet.co
m) writes:
>Our compilers and tools are so expensive because the market is small.  The
>market is small because a) tools are expensive, and b) anyone can see that
>the market is small, so why be a poineer?
>
>This is two interlocking vicious circles.  The way to fix it is "priming
>the pump".  This is what the mandate was supposed to do, but unfortunately
>it was never done.  A few dozen major DOD programs went to Ada, but the
>tens of thousands of smaller programs did not.  Only a small percentage of
>all computers used for DOD-funded software development have Ada compilers
>installed.
>
>So, given unwillingness by DOD to prime the pump, Ada will continue to struggl
>along growing at 10-20% per year.  I believe that I'm seeing increasing
>dissatisfaction with C and C++, and think that Ada will do even better, on
>its own merits, over the next few years.

   [stuff deleted]

>Sorry for the diatribe; flame away.

OK, I will.  Am I correct in thinking that you want the DOD to
'prime the pump' just like they did with Pascal?  (or was that C? ).

The folks who should have a reall interest in priming the pump
should be the vendors!  After all, they'll be the ones to profit
if it takes off.  If you need an example, I can try to find my old
$29.95 copy of JRT Pascal for CP/M.

Mark